Chapter 5

Jamila spent the entire festival by her sister's side never once missing the lustful gaze of Chief Hakim even though he had five wives by his side. "Jamila stop frowning" said Kia bumping her shoulder against here and handing her a strip of dried meat, Jamila nibbled on it still glaring at The Chief.

"Kia, how can I not frown, look at the way The Chief of looking at you and he has five wives" she replied, still glaring. Kia glanced at The Chief and looked away quickly cheeks red, "I wish I was his age" she sighed forlornly. Jamila's face twisted into one of disgust.

"No you don't he's a pervert, what is he doing with five wives?" Jamila said, "I know, but he's so handsome" she swooned, that Jamila had to admit Chief Hakim was good looking. Tall and broad with well defined muscles, angular features and smooth, shiny dark skin, Jamila sighed her sister really was naive.

Winters passed and still Jamila hadn't shifted even though Kira and Nyla had shifted and we're currently learning how to shift.

The current summer was an oddly prosperous one, crops grew greener than usual, prey from the forest had retutned so Kia and Jamila had stopped hunting in the evil forest  soil became more fertile.

Now Kia was fifteen winters and Jamila was fourteen. One day The Town crier announced that three of Chief Hakim's wives had died mysteriously the previous night and a selection would be held the next day to replace them.

The festival went by quickly and once again Jamila spent it glued to Kia's hip until Chief Hakim himself walked up to them, his usual lustful gaze in his eyes.

"May I speak to you in private Kia?" Chief Hakim asked "yes, you-" "whatever you have to say you say to the two of us!" said Jamila arms crossed over her chest, "very well" said The Chief. "I came to ask if you wouldn't mind being my wife, Aida's handmaid, she said she wanted someone young and capable and you came to mind" he said, "really?" Kia asked eyes brimming with excitement.  Chief Hakim nodded "Yes I will be-" "she isn't going" Jamila interupted shamelessly glaring at The Chief.

"Jamila we can't refuse him! He's The Chief!" said Kia elbowing her, she turned back to Chief Hakim, "don't mind my sister I will be happy to be Lady Aida's handmaid" she said.

"Kia why would you agree!" Jamila demanded as they made their way back to their house, Kira and Nyla had skipped on ahead, "Jamila that position come with a lot of money!" Kia replied, "is that the only reason you're doing this job?" Jamila asked "yes!" Kia spluttered her face was red and she was blinking furiously, "you're lying!" Jamila accused, "I don't know why you can't see that he's a pervert! He doesn't like you he just wants to sleep with you! And you're just giving yourself to him like a naive girl!" said Jamila her face was red with anger, Kia raised her hand and slapped her. Hard.

Kia stared at her hand them at Jamila who was staring back at her tears brimming in her eyes as she rubbed her throbbing red cheek, "Jamila-" Jamila ran away from her sister, from her home and from the village into the evil forest.