Chapter 6

Jamila ran deep into the evil forest, running without stopping for breath.
When she finally did stop, she was lost in the depths of the evil forest. Thick huge branches loomed above her like skeletons, the wind blew sending chills up her spine, she help her cloak tightly against herself. This part of the forest was unfamiliar to her as she and Kia stuck to hunting at the mouth of the forest.

Jamila wondered around the forest with each passing minute her fear grew. At sunset she was still lost and she was sure she had passed a particular tree three times. She sat down on the loamy soil leaning against a tree, she hugged her knees to her chest, closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep.

She was awoken by a grunt and the feel of something wet on her cheek, deep throaty voice said "wake up" Jamila opened her eyes, blinking groggily, she screamed  as saw the massive  creature before her.

It was the cross between a wolf and a bat, with midnight fur and huge velvety wings, two horns protruded from it's forehead ,  it's paws could crush her in an instant and the claws sticking out from it's paws could slice the tree behind her in half like a warm soft loaf.

The creature cocked it's head at her and a deep throaty growl asked, "why did you scream? Does my appearance frighten you?" Jamila's fear turned to confusion as she whipped her head around looking for the source of the voice, "what are you looking for child?" The voice asked again, Jamila turned to face the creature it's black eyes watching with amusement, "was it you?" she asked, "I cannot understand your mother tongue" the voice replied.

Jamila bravely stepped forward as if commanded by a mysterious force and placed a hand on the creature's massive muzzle, the creature looked at her in bewilderment, "what are you doing?" It asked, "I don't know" she replied in the same throaty voice as the creature, "you can speak my tongue?" It asked, "I suppose so" she replied grinning at it.

"I have never met a mortal who can speak my tongue, what is your name?" It asked, "Jamila" she replied, "Jamila, will you please follow me back to my people?" It asked, Jamila looked skeptical, "please,  I promise no harm will come to you" it said, "alright, but you haven't told me your name and what you are" she said.

"My name is Waje, I am an Onï one of the beasts who live in this forest" Waje replied "it's a pleasure to met you Waje" she said, "the pleasure is all mine, now get on my back" Waje said lowering herself so that Jamila could climb on.

Waje trotted down the forest and stopped when their approached a massive cave, huge birds of many colors flew around the top of the cave coloring the dark sky, many animals of which she had never seen before had made their homes around the cave settling down with the mates and children.

They all stared whispering amongst one another as Waje carried Jamila I to the cave, "who is that you have on your back, My Queen" a bird dared to ask, it's feathers were a bright red and orange and it's voice was high pitched and squeaky, "her name is Jamila and she can speak our tongue" Waje replied.

"Impossible!" The bird gasped, "the only soul who can speak our tongue is-" "shut up Abdul" said Waje as she led Jamila into the cave.

The cave was dark, so dark Jamila couldn't make out anything, "Who goes there?" A deeper voice growled, "it is, I, My King and I come with a strange guest" said Waje. The King stepped forward he was an Onï like Waje but much more bigger and more majestic, "who are you?" He asked, "my name is Jamila, I am from Ushirô village" she replied, The King stepped forward seemingly un-bothered that she could speak his tongue and sniffed her, "You are The Panther's daughter heir to the Mehìró Kingdom" he said.

Jamila nodded dumbly, "I have been waiting for you, The Elders told me of a girl who was a panther at heart" he said "they told me about a girl who Onírí the great beast tamer and our master will bless with his gifts" The King said, "Onírí the great beast tamer?" She echoed dumbly, "yes, Onírí means Beast tamer, he was our master the one who made us, one of The Elders" he said, "is that why I can't shift?" She asked.

"No it has nothing to do with that some royals from Mehìró are born like that, I assume you are aware that shifting is the curse that The Faceless gods inflicted upon The royal houses of Mehìró for their greed, some children from those royal families are sometimes singled out by The faceless gods and blessed with gifts" The King explained, "you are one of them, only you were chosen by The Elders" he continued, "you are The daughter of Onírí" he finished.

Jamila stared at him, "so what does that mean?" she asked, "it means you are our Mistress and mother" he said.