Prologue

Him : hey

Me : hi

Him : how r u?

Me : good, happy for the upcoming summer vacation!

Him : yeah,

deleted message

Me : ???

Him : never mind

Me : ok...

Him : yeah...

Me : well c u tomorrow - remember the math test

Him : oh yeah thanks for reminding me, bye...

_______________

I walked out of the school excited for the weekend. The breeze of summer air filled my hair and the daisies we're in full bloom. I feel a light tap on my shoulder. Jasper looms over me, my god he scared me it's almost as if he doesn't leave a whisper of a sound. Nevertheless he is one of my best friends, it's not like he could kill anyone... right?

"Hey, Sky" he says, his voice surprising me "What 'cha up to?"

"Cha?"

"I don't know" he says and we both laugh

"I'm just thinking about the summer break" I shrug. As I say this he looks nervous and he wipes his hands on his jeans "what ARE you doing for summer? I mean no one really knows" I excitedly say, eager to spend time over the break. His hand moves to his hair nervously running his fingers through his color of hair mess he avoided eye contact "About that Sky ... I'm uh, I'm moving, this summer ... back to America." "Oh, ok well, I hope you have fun in America?" Luckily the bell rang and saved us from this awkwardness.

________________

That was the last time we had ever talked, well he talked to me in school sometimes and after he left we sent all of the "Happy Birthday" and the "Happy New Year" "Merry Christmas" all of the polite things but I felt like we were strangers again. Strangers like the first time I had seen him sitting on his own in the back of the classroom, reading my favourite book.

Five years later and our small conversations have gone even smaller, barely any politeness, no "Happy Birthdays" or "Happy Halloween" no more late night book talks or complaints and compliments on Anime. More strangers than friends.