Chapter 2

Dib turned to see who Zim had first looked at, and jumped when he saw Zim staring him straight back, his face almost mystified, as if he'd seen some amazing wonder, just as all those who'd been shot. Zim too jumped and looked away. "D-don't tell me he was looking at me..." Said Dib. "Oh yeah, he definitely was." Said Cupid blatantly. "H- he saw me first?" Cupid nodded. "Well it must have been an accident! There's no way this can happen! Can't you take it back?" Pleaded Dib. "There are no accidents, kid. It all happens for a reason." Said Cupid. "Yeah, but Zim hates me! There's no way this could happen!" Whined Dib. "There's a thin line between love and hate. And you know, love comes up in the most unexpected places. There was this one kid who was trying to save the world or something, and in order to do so, somewhere along the line I made him admit that he loved this guy who years ago he blamed for his sister's death. Talk about unexpected, huh?" Cupid popped a pea into his mouth. "But, this isn't fair!" Said Dib. Cupid laughed. "Love doesn't play fair! That kid, Nico I think, do you think he wanted to fall in love? No. But he did, and there must have been a reason, because, like I said, fate doesn't make mistakes." Dib growled stomped away. He stormed out of the room angrily as Zim looked up and stared momentarily. Dib rambled on to himself in the hallway, mostly incoherent mumbling with occasional "THIS IS INSANE!"s or "HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN?!". He stopped abruptly at one point and sighed. "Maybe he's right. I mean after all, this could end this stupid feud that's been going on for the past few years. And maybe he won't take over the world and set everything out of balance. Maybe this WAS meant to happen." He turned on his heel as if looking to someone behind him. "But it cant be! I don't feel that way, why would he? And he's an alien! AN ALIEN! And I'm human! We're so different!" He yelled. "Who are you talking to?" Dib turned again to see Zim, confused. Dib blushed slightly. "To myself. I do that a lot, you know." Zim shrugged and turned his head. He looked back curiously. "Who were you talking about?" He looked almost hopeful. Dib jumped. "None of YOUR business, space boy." Zim furrowed his brow and turned again. After a moment of awkward silence, he spoke. "About you being a human and me being irken, we're not so different. We have one thing in common." "What's that?" Zim looked Dib straight in the eyes. "We both have souls." And with that, he turned and strode down the hall. Dib stood for a moment, pondering those words. Then he called to Zim. "You didn't yell at me." Zim jumped and looked over his shoulder. "You didn't give me a reason." And with that, he was gone. Dib stood with his mouth gaping open. Sure, he'd known that Zim had been shot, but he didn't really believe it until now. Like when someone dies and you know that, but then it hits you that they really aren't coming back. He turned around and there was Cupid, bow in hand. "How cute!" He teased. Dib scowled and walked right past him. "Hey, I was kidding. It's not so bad, you know." "What's not so bad?" "When someone loves you. Just think, you alone are enough to drive someone mad. Someone cares about you. Someone thinks that you are worth their time. Someone sees beauty in you. You." Dib smiled at that, he couldn't help it. It was nice to know that someone loved him, let alone liked him. "Plus, you'd make a pretty cute couple." Added Cupid. Dib scowled again and crossed his arms, continuing to walk. Cupid snickered. What made it even more funny though, was that only Cupid knew that he'd shot Dib while he had been speaking to Zim.