ZERO - THE START OF A BEAUTIFUL FRIENDSHIP

PROLOGUE — THE START OF A BEAUTIFUL FRIENDSHIP

"I'm not going to hurt you." — zara harkness

ZARA HARKNESS LEANT BACK IN HER CHAIR — CAREFUL NOT TO PUSH IT TOO FAR THAT IT WOULD SNAP LIKE A PIECE OF LIQUORICE — AS SHE TWIRLED A STRAND OF HER CHOCOLATE HAIR AROUND HER FINGER ABSENTMINDEDLY

ZARA HARKNESS LEANT BACK IN HER CHAIR — CAREFUL NOT TO PUSH IT TOO FAR THAT IT WOULD SNAP LIKE A PIECE OF LIQUORICE — AS SHE TWIRLED A STRAND OF HER CHOCOLATE HAIR AROUND HER FINGER ABSENTMINDEDLY. Soft melodic hums fell from her lips as she stared at her screen, waiting patiently in case something popped up that needed her immediate attention. It had been a quiet week, well for Torchwood anyway, just the occasional weevil sighting, but it wasn't anything a bit of retcon couldn't fix.

Her father sat at his own desk on the other side of the Hub, his legs crossed over one another, resting on the cracked wooden surface. He was currently preoccupied with his Vortex Manipulator, tinkering with the wires like he usually did whenever he was bored out of his mind, which was quite often considering how much excitement needed to happen for him to be entertained.

Honestly, the younger Harkness saw no point in his relentless efforts to fix the device, he had been at it for decades but with no success. It had burnt out after he jumped away from Satellite Five, escaping the aftermath of the destruction the Daleks had caused two hundred thousand years into their future. He would've continued to travel with his old friends The Doctor, Astraea and Rose, but according to the impeccable memory of the time agent, they were nowhere to be found after he awoke alone and surrounded in Dalek dust. Zara knew it hurt him, the not knowing, not knowing why his supposed 'friends' had abandoned him to the Daleks to die.

When the Time Lord, Fallen Star and their human companion return, Zara knew she was going to give them a piece of her mind for having the nerve to leave her father behind, but she couldn't be too angry, because after all, if they hadn't, she wouldn't exist.

Zara just sighed after shaking herself from her thoughts, her gaze returning to the screen, watching as the alien flatline continued to stay that way.