⁰¹ dumb, dumber & dumbest

LOSING GAME¹

━━ Harry, Harvey & Sylvia

"AREN'T WE LUCKY?"

Norman Osborn glanced at the youngest of the Osborn triplets, Sylvia. The sandy blonde teenager turned to her father and offered him a polite smile before turning away and staring out at the window, watching the blurry exterior as they drove by. Norman watched his children with a stern face, his brow gaze rested on Harry and Harvey, two drops of water destined to be failures. They got kicked out of every boarding school Norman had sent them, and it was always for the exact same reasons, troublemakers and flunkees. The father of three took a deep breath before glancing at Sylvia who sat on his left, he had high hopes for her, she had always been the sharpest of the three until recently. She, too, got expelled, and so Norman had to ask Midtown to kindly accept his daughter on such sort of notice.

"Honestly, I didn't think Midtown would allow her to enroll." Harvey cranes his neck from side to side, causing audible cavitation. "Because we are already in the last semester."

Sylvia didn't even bother giving her input, she couldn't bear to see the look of disappointment in her father's eyes, despite the reassuring smiles, she knew he felt let down.

"They would be fools to say no to Norman Osborn. Nobody dares." Harry answered, he threw his father a glance to see if his words pleased him.

Nobody dares to say no when threatened with a lawsuit, Sylvia thought. The sandy blonde Osborn removed her gaze from the window, she straightened up in her seat and decided to include herself in the conversation by appearing as if she was genuinely interested. 

Norman found himself chuckling, he glanced at his firstborn. "You'd be surprised how often people say that to me. But what can you do? This is the business of life." His eyes glanced at each one of his children, he looked at them with that familiar wisdom and strength. "We've been through a lot and I understand that you're still kids, struggles and mistakes are in your nature. But one thing you must never forget, it's who you are. You're Osborn, and when we're told no, we try harder. Are we clear on that?"

"Yes, dad." Harry was the one to answer.

Harvey yawned while simultaneously nodding, Norman turned to his little girl and saw her smiling at him. Norman and Sylvia had a love-hate relationship, they loved each other just as much as they hated one another. Norman sometimes couldn't bear to look at her since she reminded him of his wife, and Sylvia resented her father for never being there for her, for failing to make her feel safe and protected.

When Emily Osborn died, they were all fifteen, so they felt her death really deeply since they were old enough to truly grasp the concept of death. Instead of being there for his children, Norman refuges himself in his work and sent his kids to boarding schools with the excuse that it was for the better. Harry and Harvey always came back, they got expelled quite regularly, but Sylvia was a different case, she stayed behind and would only visit them during the holidays or vacations. But that all changed when she got expelled after burning a teacher's hair after she spoke badly about Emily Osborn. They were harmless words, but it still struck a nerve.