21. Baby Blues

A few weeks later

August P.O.V

"I'm so sorry for your loss, keep ya head up son." Mike, Natalia's uncle greeted me outside the funeral home.

"Preciate it Mike." I hugged him back, along with some other relatives and friends.

I spent days sittin' around a table with her parents plannin' her funeral. Kinda felt like I woulda been wrong not ta stick around until she was in the ground fa good.

Call it pathetic if you want, but I sat right there on that front roll in mah black suit, obituary in hand and cried. Just like her moms and pop. Cryin wasn't part of mah plan. Ion really got the right ta cry. I mean, how could I? They trusted me ta love her and I killed her. Played the part so damn good no further investigation was needed. It was a simple case, open and shut. Murder-Suicide. The only evidence they had was the scene I built. Only thing they could do was call it how they saw it.

Don't get me wrong, it was cold. Down right dirty. But that's just how the game goes. People get hurt. People die. And you get away with it. Prolly not something ta be proud of. But we don't make the game. We just play it; and we stick to it.

***
After the burial; the repass, the flower bearing, condolences and goodbyes, I did mah rightful duties and made sure her parents got home safe.

"Are you sure you're gonna be fine Aug?" Mrs. D asked still holding mah hand.

"I'm good ma. Ima be aight."

Mr. John wiped away another tear before he looked up at me.

"I'm sorry I gave you such a hard time Yungin'." He said. "I was just trynna be a good father. Trynna protect mah baby girl. I was so busy trynna get rid of you, when it was him I shoulda been after."

I felt bad. I neva seen her pops so emotional.

"You don't have ta apologize Mr. John. It came from a good place. You did the best you could. Nothin' wrong with that." I handed him a tissue.

"Aug, you don't have ta go." Mrs. D spoke again.

"I know. But I should. Prolly what's best fa me. Try ta get back ta the good life." I chuckled.

They laughed a little.

"Well, you take care of yourself son." Mr John walked me out.

"You too. I'll see y'all around."

***
A few days later

Dear Chay,

Seems like it was just the otha day, you was a baby
In my arms and soon you gon' be all grown and it's so crazy
I wish I could turn back the clock
Or better yet make it stop
And give you all that I got

Like every guy's gonna tell you that you're beautiful
Remember I would tell you first, so it ain't new to you
I know in a while, it's gon' be hard for me to get through to you
You gon' think that you know it all
But that ain't gon' be the truth