Chapter 5 - Moominmamma

The Moomins and their many guests were gathered around the table eating dinner. Moomin chatted to Pappa about the fun they had that day while Sniff and Little My bickered like always. Snufkin didn't say much except when prompted by Moomin and Snorkmaiden was quiet for most of the meal. "Thank you for dinner Moominmamma," she said. Tilly's face scrunched. She had never been good at hiding when she was upset, and right now she was angry. She put her head down and stared at her plate, jabbing a little to hard and the dish.

"Tilly, whatever is the matter," Moominmamma asked with concern. Tilly looked around the table, they had all stopped eating to gawk at her sudden change in temperment. 

"Well the truth is Moominmamma, I am very upset with your family," she glanced around, "It seems the only person with any manners doesn't even live here." Snorkmaiden blushed as Tilly looked pointedly at her. 

"Oh?" asked Moominpappa. 

"Yes," started Tilly, "all of you have been awake for a week and I have yet to hear anyone besides Snorkmaiden thank Mammma." The table was quiet. Moominpappa grappled for an excuse, but came up flustered. "I'm quite sick of it," Tilly interjected again. "It's not right for her to be treated this way. And what is worse is the fact that Snorkmaiden and I are the only ones who help with the housework."

"Oh dear," Mamma said gently, "but Sniff and Snufkin are guests here. I couldn't expect that of my guests."

"No!" Tilly stood up abruptly. "I'm your guest too but even I understand that every new mouth to feed is that much more work for you to do. And besides, they are guests here so often they practically live here but have their beds in another place." Tilly grabbed Mamma's hand. "It's not right, and if no one in this house is going to help you, they can at least learn to respect you." 

Mamma drew her hand back and looked across the table to Pappa. He blushed and hung his head, refusing to make eye contact. "I suppose you are right, Tilly. It would be nice to be appreciated for all that I do." 

Tilly nodded at that, scanning the table of ashamed faces. "Mamma and I are going away for a while." Everyone snapped up to look at Tilly, but Mamma seemed the most anxious to here what she had to say. "It's okay Mamma," she said, taking the harsh tone out of her voice for a moment. "When is the last time Moominmamma went away and didn't have to care for all of you?"

The family looked around nervously. "Well that would be when Moominmamma and I went to collect special and rare cherries," Snufkin said. Tilly caught a brief, far off look on Mamma's face. She smiled at the memory. 

"It's settled then. Mamma never gets to rest and so I think it is about time that she be able to go off wherever she would like." Tilly turned to her, "Moominmamma, would you like me to accompany you on a trip? We can go anywhere you would like so long as we are away long enough for you to be fully rested."

Mamma looked into Tilly's eyes with gratitude, "I would like that very much, dear. But how will my family get along?" She looked around nervously. Obviously it had not gone well the last time Moominmamma left them to themselves. 

Tilly put her hands on her hips and faced the family. "They can learn to take care of themselves. Snufkin." Snufkin looked up quizzically. "You can care for yourself just fine. If the children cannot manage the house they can manage a tent. You can help them fish and prepare food if they can't feed themselves properly." Snufkin nodded, a slight smile on his face. Apparently all he does is fish so at least he's good for one thing, she thought a little harshly. "Moominpappa." She turned her gaze on him, he fidgeted in his seat. "You're an adult and a parent aren't you? And I'm sure you've helped Moominmamma with the housework so often that you know how to do everything?"