Chapter 6 - Sniff

"It's just up here, what I wanted to show you," Mamma called, rushing up the slope to the peak of the mountain. The women had been gone for two weeks now. They spent every few days walking to a new place, but most of their time was devoted to camping, exploring, and collecting herbs. They had added lots of new entries to the red book Snufkin had given Mamma, but had stopped their work when Mamma suggested they hike to the highest peak to see the valley below. 

"Coming Moominmamma!" Tilly scurried up some sliding rocks to catch up. 

"Hurry Tilly, I can see it." She stretched out her hand to help the girl, pulling her to the top of peak. 

"Oh wow," breather out Tilly. You could see all of Moominvalley and the sea from where they stood. 

"Tilly," Mamma said, concern in her voice. 

"What is it?" She followed the direction Mamma pointed. She could see Moomin house in the distance and three fires billowing up black smoke. "A signal fire." 

The women rushed off the peak and packed their camp. "Oh I hope they're not in too much danger," Mamma crowed, stuffing her pack full. 

"Pappa is there," assured Tilly, "I'm sure that whatever is happened they are not in immediate danger." She looked at Mamma. "What if someone is sick?" 

Mamma returned her gaze, "Yes, you could be right. Snufkin knows many herbs but he's not a healer, you and I are the only ones that could attend to the sick." 

"Then let's hurry back. It's a good thing we collected all these herbs, we should have everything we need when we return."

                                                                      *****

"Oh my stomach," wailed Sniff. "Are you sure the fires are big enough? What if they don't see it?" 

"It's fine," Snufkin said flatley. He sat on the front step attending to the fires. Sniff paced the porch. "Shouldn't you go lie down? If you're so sick you should be in bed." 

"I am terribly sick, I don't think I'll ever be better. Oh I wish Tilly would come back."

"And Moominmamma," cut in Snufkin, pulling his harmonica from his jacket and keeping his back turned towards the boy.

"Yes of course! And Moominmamma." Sniff paced a few more times before relenting and going back into the house. I'm sure he'll feel much better as soon as Tilly arrives and attends to him, Snufkin thought sarcastically. I just hope Moominmamma isn't too disappointed to come back.

The family had been getting on rather well after the disastrous first week. Moomin had called the family and friends together for a meeting after a long day of tending to the house. "Mamma deserves better, he had announced." They had discussed the labors of the day and wondered how one woman could do it all alone. Snorkmaiden had sat quietly. Tilly's note had made it clear she already had her hands full caring for her own household, so she could do nothing to help except teach them how to do things themselves. 

"I do so wish the Snork appreciated me more, I'm sure Mamma feels the same," she had told them. They had nodded and talked about their plans for her return. It wasn't long after, though, that Sniff had started complaining of being sick. Sure, sick, Snufkin thought skeptically. They had agreed to light a signal fire since they didn't know where Mamma and Tilly had gone off to. Snorkmaiden had helped Pappa find the pumpkin soup recipe Moominmamma made when the children got sick, and Sniff had been eating it for all his meals since no one was quite sure what to do with him. 

Snufkin laughed at the thought and added another branch to the fire, the green leaves sending up plumes of black smoke. He wouldn't mind seeing Tilly again.