Chapter 7 - Sailing

In the days that followed, Tilly and Snufkin began spending more time together. She would often come over to his camp in the early mornings when he sat on the river bank fishing and start a fire for them both. Moominmamma even came out to ask if something was wrong as Tilly wasn't spending near as many meals with them in Moomin house. 

"I'm fine," Tilly had assured her, "I just enjoy being camped outside."

One afternoon they had run into Moomin while walking towards the woods. "Snufkin, where are you going?" he asked, running to catch up.

"We're going to retrieve Tilly's basket, she forgot it the other day when we were fishing." 

"You went fishing together?" asked Moomin, hurt in his voice. Snufkin and Tilly looked at eachother. 

Tilly took a step forward. "Yes, Snufkin was on his way back to Moomin house and we ran into each other. You were in the kitchen with Mama so I promise we didn't leave you behind on purpose." 

The troll seemed to accept that, "Well I'd like to go exploring with Snufkin today," he said more to Tilly than his friend. She could sense his protective jealousy. 

She smiled, "Well Moomin, would you like to accompany us to find my basket?"

"Yes, alright I will." They began walking and Tilly noticed how Moomin walked between her and Snufkin. She could see Snufkin try to catch her eye, but she kept her gaze on the path in front of her. 

                                                                      *****

She had lunch and dinner in Moomin house that day and was disappointed to see that Snufkin joined them for both. She avoided his gaze at the table and even hovered in the kitchen as long as possible to make sure Moomin could snag a seat next to him. It's not that she didn't want to see Snufkin, but she felt like she was intruding on their relationship. She could empathize with Moomin, he only got to see his friend for the warm months before he went away, and even when he was here he often went off on his own. She didn't want to take Snufkin away from his best friend, even if she very much wanted to spend time with him. After all, she had no idea how long she would stay in Moominvalley. 

When dinner was over Tilly sat washing the dishes next to Mamma. 

"I can take over Moominmamma, why don't you go sit in the parlor with everyone else." They turned to see Snufkin in the doorway. 

"Oh thank you, how very kind of you. I have been wanting to work on my knitting this evening." Mamma left the kitchen and Snufkin took his place next to Tilly to begin washing. She stood holding her towel, nervous.

"You've been avoiding me," he said, eyes on the soapy water. 

"No-"

"Come on, don't lie, you've been trying to get away from me all day." He handed her the dish and looked at her, but there was nothing accusing in his voice or face. She held his gaze.

"Yes I've been avoiding you." She stepped back to put away a stack of plates.

"Is it because of Moomin?"

She turned from the cupboard and glanced at the doorway to make sure they were alone. She crossed over to Snufkin and lowered her voice. "Yes, I don't want to take you away from him. He got jealous just from these past few days, so I wanted to take a step back."

Snufkin began washing dishes again, lowering his own voice to a near whisper. "You know, Tilly, Moomin is my best friend and I thank you for being so considerate of him," he stopped, "but I like spending time with you." She pulled in a breath and he continued. "Moomin goes off alone with Snorkmaiden all the time and I'm not hurt by it, so he should understand if I want to be alone with you."