Chapter 3 - Rebel attack

Maxon wins the bet in the end. I learn that May, America's sister, didn't shed a single tear when eating the strawberry pie. I hope that their date works out.

The day after their date I am already in the dining room with my parents, Maxon, and the Selected, having breakfast. When I glance at America, she seems distressed about something. Could it be that their date was not good?

Before I have any chance to ask Maxon about the date, I begin to hear shouting from the hallway, followed by several footsteps of guards. Rebels.

"To the back of the room, ladies!" my father shouts, instructing the Selected, and runs to a window.

Each of us quickly pulls down the blinds on each window. The girls understand absolutely nothing. As soon as we close the blinds, several guards enter the room, they close the doors, lock them and reinforce them with bars.

"They have invaded the estate, Your Majesty, but we were able to contain their advance. It would be good if the ladies would leave, but we are too close to the door..."

"Understood, Markson." my father says, interrupting the guard.

During the preparations for the Selection, we discussed the possibility of a rebel invasion. With more civilians inside the palace, we would logically be more vulnerable, the perfect moment for them to try to get in. The rebels hate the Selection, and I even understand why they hate it, it's a cheap trick to entertain society and to get people from the royal family to marry people from lower castes.

Several girls come to help us lower the blinds, which are heavy because they are metal.

"To the back of the room. Now!" I say to the girls next to me.

Most of them do as I say, but when I look back, before following them to the back, I notice that Celeste has stayed, looking shocked. I go over to her and touch her arm lightly, waiting for any reaction.

"Let's go. We need to go where we'll be safer." I say, taking her arm and pulling her to the back of the room.

Once everyone is in a safer place, I look at the Selected. Tiny Lee, from Caste Three, is unconscious in the arms of another girl. Most of them seem to be hysterical, not knowing how to react to such a situation. When I turn to see how Celeste is, I see that she and another Selected are talking, she doesn't seem to be in shock anymore, but she certainly isn't as well as she looks.

I have no idea how long we've been here. I think about asking Celeste how she is, but soon give up the idea. She and any other Selected are Maxon's concern! Let him ask them all. That's what he does, he walks past all the girls, asking each one how they are. Until he stops at America, and the two of them talk.

I can't stand the anxiety and decide to check on Celeste. If it weren't for the situation, I'd wonder why I'm so worried about just one of them. I go to her.

"Is everything all right?" I ask, in a low tone.

For a second I think she's going to smile at me, but she seems to think it over and then frowns.

"Do you really think I'm so weak? Of course I'm fine." she responds aggressively.

"I don't think so. What I think is that neither of you is used to situations like this, and reacting with fear is absolutely normal." I say, not changing the tone of my voice.

"Why did you ask only me then?" she says in a defiant tone.

Before I can answer, or at least think of an answer, there is a jolt. I hear some screams and some of the Selected start crying again. Celeste instinctively holds my hand as the walls begin to shake. She's scared.

As I notice her aggressive manner, instead of questioning her, I squeeze her hand back, as a way of comforting her.

Why is my heart beating faster? I've been in situations like this before, there's no reason to be nervous. Is it because I'm holding hands with Celeste? No, of course not. I'm probably just nervous because it's a complete stranger holding my hand.

"Who are they?" she whispers in my ear.

"The rebels?" I say.

I look at her and she nods. I've never been so close to her before (or to any of the Selected), she's much prettier when she doesn't look arrogant.

"There are two rebel groups, the southern and the northern. Of all the attacks we have every year, they are usually made by the northerners, since they are closer, Maxon and I believe they are in Likely's territory, as not many people live there since it's only ruins. It's rare when they break into the palace," I notice that she becomes more concerned about this. "but the few times they have, they haven't done much damage. So I think this attack now is their work."

"What about the southern ones?" she says, looking into my eyes, showing genuine concern.

I hesitate to answer her, but I won't lie, so I decide to tell her. "Southerners are usually more lethal. They usually attack no more than twice a year, but every time they come someone dies. It is difficult to differentiate a Northerner from a Southerner, so we usually only find out which one it is after the attack."

"And what do they want?"

"Take us down, basically. They are not even from Caste Eight, I imagine they are unhappy about it. The northern ones we haven't figured out what they want yet, it's still a mystery."

In the end we are locked in for just over an hour. No one broke into the palace, just the property. The guards shot two men who arrived near the main entrance and the others fled. As a security measure, we stay there a little longer, until the whole palace is searched.

As soon as we are released to return to our rooms I turn to Celeste, who is still holding my hand.

"Do you want me to walk you to your room?" I ask.

"No need, Your Highness." she says.

Before she lets go of my hand and follows the other Selected out of the dining room, she seems to think of something. She hesitates, but then steps forward and kisses me on the cheek, smiles and then follows the other girls. I feel my face flush.

Why do I blush at that? I convince myself it's because I'm not used to this display of affection from a stranger.