chapter 15

// open up your skies //

// put your love in lights //

"Find You (Acoustic)" -Zedd ft. Matthew Koma & Miriam Bryant

--------

The moon came to visit; cosmic and warm and everything I needed. A piece of the galaxy spinning down and down and down bringing it's lunar tranquility into my living room; into the depths of my chest.

She claimed that there was no way she was missing my birthday, even though I told her that 24 is nothing to celebrate. She didn't want to hear it; telling me that it was my golden birthday and we needed to party. She booked her flight to San Francisco for the weekend the moment we got off the phone.

Luna surprised me by coming in early Friday evening. She was sitting up against the slushie machine at Dino's when I walked in for work, with a single, shiny balloon in hand and a devilish grin across her face. I froze as soon as I passed through the door, dropping my bag at my feet. The high schoolers behind the counter were paying more attention to their phones than me, but the moment the scream left my lips, their heads shot up.

I didn't mean to be so loud, the scream resonating in echoes throughout the nearly empty gas station. I all but sprinted across the room, throwing myself into Luna's waiting, open arms.

"What the fuck? I thought you weren't coming in til tomorrow night!" Her hair fluttered around my face, filling my senses with wild strawberries and mountain grass. Home, home, home.

The last I talked to Luna, her flight was touching earth Saturday afternoon right at 4, at exactly the time I was done for the weekend. We were going to spend Saturday night out in the city, and she had to be back in the sky exactly 24 hours later. Needless to say, I wasn't expecting to see her on Friday.

"Surprise, babes." Plucky light harp strings and soft, solid arms woven tightly around my shoulders, "Happy birthday, Fif."

And, so, the two of us sat in that god awful gas station laughing our asses off about absolutely nothing for the duration of my shift. My heart felt like the starlight came in and took residence there. Like all of my limbs were beams of sparkling, detonating galactic material, in contrast to the lunar miracle at my side.

Around 1, my galaxies collided into an explosion of streaming firework color, vibrant and breathtaking. The doorbell rang out in the middle of Luna telling me about the kids in the daycare class and how they all pile into her lap when they start story time. In walked the entirety of the sun, the whole expanse of the universe wrapped up in dingy Dino's between the two people I found residing inside of my chest constantly.

Luna and I were sat up against the countertop, my head resting on her shoulder and bopping up and down as she talked animatedly. My left leg was hung up and overtop of thigh, tangled between her legs. She kept talking, laughing through stories about her little ones. I tried to keep focused on her words as he walked in, I really did, but as those grassy eyes met mine, Luna's voice started to drown out.

Ever so slowly, my head raised from it's home in the crook of Luna's neck, my vision going blind from the man walking through the doors. Once my head lifted up, Lune froze as well, on high alert for any perceived danger.

"Hey" the quiet murmur leaving his lips sounded so unlike him. As if he was worried I was upset with him.

I had tried to ask Harry why he left so early last weekend, before I was even fully awake, but he was quick to brush it off in his perfect Harry way - full of soft sweetness dripping from every pore on his radiant face. I couldn't find it in myself to push further, succumbing easily to his stretchy, melty sugar.