Chapter 3

Even though the building in the city is not even their main office

Even though the building in the city is not even their main office. It puts our own to shame.

A deluxe, glistening skyscraper that reigns supreme above all. The polished black edifice is like a monument of obsidian glass, rising to reach the heavens. Its futuristic design makes it appear like something straight out of a YA dystopian novel.

I stride into the building with my chin held in high with fraudulent confidence. Everything is blindingly white like some kind of ultra-advance museum. I approach the front desk. Before I can even open my mouth, the woman that looks like she strutted right out of a Vogue magazine cover. She looks at me with immediate recognition, like we're old friends or something.

"Miss, Hadassah Moor?"

"Yes," I say, pampering on a smile.

Hers surpasses my own with a smile that can cure cancer. "Right this way. Mr Moon has been expecting you. I'll show you to his bureau."

She springs up from her seat and rounds the desk, leading me through the atrium. Her all-white, skin-tight bodycon dress practically camouflaging with the immaculate interior of the building. I shoulder my bag; my thumb running along the strap thoughtfully. Whilst we journey to the peak of Lex Luthor's building. I might as well make it worth my time.

"So how long have you worked for Zenith?"

"Only two years," she says with an elastic smile that just seems robotic. Not fake, but not natural either.

"Have you ever met Orian?"

"The CEO himself?" she snorts, restraining condescension. "He has over a dozen industrial complexes and commercial buildings like this one, with no need to be in any of them. But I hear he's frequently spotted in his headquarters in Tokyo."

We enter a sparkling glass elevator. She inputs a code into an exclusive keypad section above the regular options.

"And what else have you heard?"

She glances back at me, flicking her glossy locks off her shoulder. "Are you looking for an angle, Miss Moor?"

"Absolutely not. Background context never hurts." Even though I have plenty. "Researching, using articles written by people are extremely subjective, it's opinion-based even if facts are present. A more objective viewpoint is not someone in the picture's frame, but someone outside of it."

She shrugs flippantly. "There's nothing I can tell you. Zenith management is easy-going, the hours are flexible, and the pay is double what other companies offer. I think I can speak for everyone that we all love working here." She perks up like she just remembered something. "Though I've met Torin quite a few times, actually. Super nice."

The elevator pings on arrival. The glass doors slide open and she sashays out. On the top level of the building, there's only one office and one lengthy corridor that leads to two gigantic oak doors and a receptionist posted outside.