Chapter Fourteen

Unroola Dawn - Unroola System
0900 Unroolan Time
1ABY

Breha walked towards her husband and linked arms with him as they walked down the corridor at the rebel base.

"What's with that look?" Breha asked, referring to Bail's face. "When you get that look it means your thinking about something."

"I've heard a rumour," Bail said.

"Is it the one about you and Mothma?" Breha joked. "Honestly Bail that rumour's been going round since the Clone Wars."

Bail rolled his eyes. Yes for some reason if he so much as breathed in the same room as a woman who wasn't his wife rumours spread that he was having an affair. Padmé and Mon had been the main culprits in the rumours.

"No it was about Luke and Leia," Bail said. "It's the usual things you would expect and I doubt it's true but it does worry me."

"Why?"

"Well they don't know they're siblings," Bail explained. "And there both young and spend a lot of time together. I'm worried about what might happen."

If there was a risk of something happening Bail would make sure to put a stop to it. Now. Bail knew he signed on for more than what most parents did when he adopted Leia but he had to draw the line somewhere.

"Oh, I know what you're in about," Breha said. "I actually talked to Luke about it a few weeks ago."

"Oh?"

"Yes," Breha nodded. "He's told me that although Leia is very beautiful he has no desire for a romantic relationship with her. In fact I got the impression that he was very uncomfortable with the idea. We've got nothing to worry about."

"Ahh that's a relief," Bail sighed.

"Yes," Breha murmured.

Breha thought for a moment and decided now was the best moment to tell Bail. She couldn't keep him in the dark forever.

"Besides it's fairly obvious Leia's affections lie with Captain Solo," she said casually.

"Yes-wait! What‽"

Bail immediately came to a crashing haunt nearly knocking over a young woman who was passing by and who didn't look too happy at the Viceroy of Alderaan for almost making her drop some experience equipment.

"Now Bail was that really necessary? What did that poor girl do to you?" Breha reprimanded her husband lightly with no real force. She was actually quite amused at the display her husband was putting on.

"What‽ Since when‽" Bail yelled.

"We'll Bail," Breha continued to talk in an amused voice. "I can hardly give you an exact timeline. I haven't been here for everything."

"And what do you mean 'it's fairly obvious'‽" Bail continued yelling.

"Bail she lights up like Life Day whenever Han walks in the room."

"Well I don't like him," Bail grumbled.

"Yes you do!" Breha laughed.

"No I don't!"

"Yes you do! You told me a few weeks ago after our trip to Aquata that you like him!"

Bail kept grumbling under his breathe. Breha sighed with infinite patience.

"You just dislike that you can't dislike him."

Again Bail continued grumbling.

"Do you think they're . . .?" Bail trailed off.

"Together?" Breha finished. "No I think Leia would have told us by now if they were officially together."

"She never told us she was together with her previous boyfriends," Bail reminded her.

"To be fair Bail we don't know that they were her boyfriends," Breha pointed out. "It was clear she liked them but whether she was dating was kind of an assumption on our part."

"Do you think that's what's going on here?"

"No," Breha said. "We've seen Leia with a crush before this is something different. More serious I suspect."

"More serious‽" Bail exclaimed. "How serious could it be she's a child‽"

"She's twenty Bail," Breha couldn't help but reprimanded him. "She's been an adult for the last three years on Alderaan not to mention we were twenty when we got married."

"Yes . . well . . . um." Bail stumbled.

"I don't like Leia growing up anymore than you do," Breha sighed thinking about the baby she had once held in her arms. The only one of her children she had ever held. "But she will whether we like it or not. All that matters is that she's happy. Especially considering what she and Luke will have to face once the war is over."

Bail grimaced knowing Breha was referring to Luke and Leia's connection to Vader that they had decided to wait to tell them till after the war with the Empire was other when it was more likely to be safe.

"I don't even know how they'd act as a couple," Bail admitted.

Most of the time he was with Leia and Han Luke was in the room with them and Bail had always been more interested in how the long lost siblings interacted rather than either's interactions with Han.

"Yes we'll they spend a lot of time together when we're not there," Breha pointed out.

Suddenly Bail had an idea.

"That's it!" he exclaimed almost scaring Breha out of her skin. "We should see how they interact in settings that aren't missions or our quarters!"

"We‽"

"I know your as curious as I am," Bail told her.

Breha shrugged not really able to deny it.

"We shall divide and conquer!"

"Bail, my husband, my love, your strength lies in making and keeping allies not military strategy can you please stop using it as a metaphor to describe how you're going to spy on our daughter's crush."

As Anakin would say. This is where the fun begins!

Published: 15/10/21
Story Word Count: 912