Pragya returns

Sushma noticed the tensed look on Pragya's face as their driver negotiated the traffic. Pragya hadn't spoken anything to her throughout the journey – just some glances of approval and agreement were all she had given as they went through the formalities at the airports. She preferred to sleep on the flight too and apart from the pleasantries she exchanged with the flight attendants, she preferred to keep by herself. She did say something to the driver before they got into the car, but hadn't bothered to inform her what it was about, and neither did Sushma find it necessary to ask.

Pragya's silence was something she was used to, but Sushma felt concerned today. Coming back to the city where you were conspired to be killed is not something that she could empathise with, but something she wanted to help her with. And Pragya hadn't yet talked about how she plans to go about punishing her husband and his co-conspirators – the sole reason for her coming back here.

She felt good that despite the visible tension, Pragya had the same focused and sharp demeanour that she had associated with her over the past couple of years – which to her, were signs of the courage, determination, and wilfulness that she had always seen in her. It's the thing that had brought her where she is now – a very capable and successful businesswoman. But she was also aware that what she may be going through will not be pleasant for her.

She was scared of what might be in store for her daughter but was sure to be besides her, come what may. She held her hand and said, 'Pragya... don't worry. I am with you', but wondered whether she was reassuring herself or Pragya, for apart from the first few days after she had met her, where she was quite shaken and broken, Pragya never needed any reassurance from her. She felt that perhaps it's she herself who needed some reassurance that she will be with her daughter this time around – something she failed to do before.

Pragya looked at her, tightened her lips, and after a brief moment nodded, and moved her mouth to say a thank you, without actually saying it, and turned to look ahead, anticipating that the driver would turn towards Saket. Sushma noticed the pain in her eyes and wanted to comfort her, but was surprised that the car took a turn.

'Hum is raaste se kyu jaa rahe hein?' Sushma asked.

"Shortcut hai" Pragya replied.

"Shortcut?" Sushma asked and looked at Pragya, a bit surprised but taking a guess as to what's going on.

Pragya, though, was busy looking around. She tensed up a bit as they passed through the familiar neighbourhood – the Shiva temple, the grocery store, the garden and the bench where she had shared ice-cream cones with Abhi when he was unwell, the parking lot where she had to hide Abhi when he was chased by the goon moments later, the clinic, and a couple of blocks from there – the Mehra Mansion. 

She patted on the drivers shoulder signalling him to stop after they passed the gate of her erstwhile home and then looked at Sushma and said, "Wahan... peeche woh... medical shop se paani lekar aati hu". Pragya got down the car, took a deep breath, and walked towards Mehra Mansion.

She had always planned to do it this way – walk straight up to Abhi and stare at his eyes. She wanted to see the fear in his eyes as she announces that she is not dead but very much alive and kicking, that too right in front of him. If he is not at home, find out where he is and do it, even if it be in the middle of a meeting for him. She didn't care how busy he was or whether he was with Alia, Tanu, or some new person in his life.

She glanced at the name plate and remembered how she had rather foolishly and religiously touched and ran her fingers over it when she had entered the home after 20 years, as if she were entering some kind of a sanctum. It used to be a sanctum for her – the place she had lived the best months of her marriage, the place where the love of her life lived. But now she couldn't help thinking how foolish she was to think so.