In a 'Nick' of Time

(I'm sorry but not all the tiles can be winners)

"I tried to be polite, but you refused!"

Edgar bellowed, his armor alight with the flames of rage. The guards all stood their ground and held their weapons at the ready. Mayer McDonough backed up and called out in the calmest tone he could manage.

"Now hold on, w-what did we do to offend you?!"

"You locked a woman from her home! You left her outside the walls of safety hoping that some grotesque horror would end her life! How could I NOT be angered by this?!"

Edgar took a small step forward as he berated the cowardly Mayer.

"Why do you care about Piper so much?"

Beach fore Edgar could answer a rock collided with the back of his helm. It was not nearly enough to hurt, but it definitely gained his attention. Turning his head to the side Edgar saw that it was in fact Piper who had struck him with a stone.

"Are you fucking crazy!? I wanted to go home, sure, but I didn't want you to cut a hole in the gate! All of diamond city relies on it to keep the danger outside. You said you wanted to help, so why would you endanger everyone here?!"

The flames of his armor were doused by his shame as Edgar realized what he had done. With head hung low he stepped back through the hole he has carved and pulled the chunk of metal back to its place.

"Forgive me, I lost myself in frustration. Allow me to fix what I have ruined, Miss Piper."

Holding his hand near the edge of the cut metal Edgar willed his Pyromancy flame to ignite, calling forth a continual burn as he held his palm against the metal. Slowly, wordlesly, he skillfully welded the metal back together, leaving a viable scar on the gate. The whole process took him nearly an hour, given the thickness of the gate. The entire time Piper stood with her arms crossed, scowling at the man before her.

As Edgar finished fusing the last few inches of metal back on he stood up and walked over to the speaker box.

"The gate is fixed, it should hold well. Once again I wish to express my deepest apologies for losing my composure earlier."

"Yes, well I'm sure you can understand that we are reluctant to allow you entry into the city."

"Yes, I understand..."
Edgar's head was hung low as he burned with shame. Not only had he failed to help anyone in the city but he also had never gotten into the city to begin with.

"If there is anything I may do to make amends for what I have done, please tell me."

On the other side of the gate McDonagh and his guards were discussing what to do. The Mayer was against allowing this madman into his city, while a few of the guards wanted to let him prove himself first.

"He may be crazy but he is clearly strong! For God's sake he cut a hole in our gate, that ain't normal!"

"Then what do you propose captain? We let a psycho roam our streets?!"

They went back and forth for a while before they were cut off by the Mayer raising his hand to call for silence.

"Okay, I've heard your opinions on this mater and I agree with all of you. We can't let a madman into Diamond City, but it would advantageous to have someone such as them here to help defend Diamond City. The question is whether or not we can trust him. So I propose we give him a test. Partly to see if he can be trusted, and also to see if he is useful for anything besides fighting."

Turning to the speaker McDonagh pressed the button and spoke.

"Well, sir if you truly wish to make it up to us then we have a task for you. Do this and we may be more willing to allow you entry."