Chapter 6: Mortal

Flip. You turned over once more and let out a frustrated groan. You sunk into your pillow and brought the blanket over your head. Fall was coming to an end and the air was becoming chillier. On this particular evening, Bucky couldn't sleep as well.

    He laid awake on the cold floor, staring at the ceiling. He noticed a new cobweb. Through his curtains, the moonlight casted a new shadow tonight. As it became more full the face shaped shadow on his ceiling grew larger.

For some reason he couldn't stop thinking about you and what you had said.

   "It was blue and simple until.."

    Your words echoed in his head, they seemed to do that a lot. He was interested in you, your past. Everyday he strived to learn more.

    On this sleepless night you were thinking about him. How could a mortal possess the capability of emphasizing with you? It baffled you. You were tortured, used, held captive and he the same. This awful treatment of such fragile life enraged you but alas there was nothing you could do.

*

"Good morning," Bucky greeted you. You shivered slightly under his stare but continued on to the small kitchen to prepare your breakfast.

On the counter was a pot of black coffee. That was exactly what you needed on this surprisingly cold fall morning.

    One sip, Bucky's gaze had not strayed. You felt the hairs on the back stand up, poking the tense air.

    "What's up Bucky?" You turned around, his stare hadn't left you.

    "I want to know more about your magic," he replied plainly and straight to the point.

     "Just magic, like Wanda's, Stephens, Loki's even." You listed off the magical beings you had met over your years of 'living' in the compound.

      "The color?" He asked you more specifically.

     "What about it, dear?" You sipped your coffee and nervously fiddled with the sleeve of your sweater.

    "You told me it was once blue." He reminded you.

    "Yes it was," you tried your best to avoid answering what he wanted answered. As much as you tried to control yourself, you could hear his curiosity swirl around in his mind. His mind was a dark place. Disorganized, always thinking so very loudly and always in a panic.

"Never mind, doll. I have chores." He gave up, lifting himself off the sofa and leaving the house. Why did you feel sad? He had just stopped bothering you, you shouldn't be feeling so disappointed. He was just another pesky human in your way but he was different..he knew how you felt which was worse and something you thought you needed to push away.

    You watched him start his chores and stop to interact with people. He was so kind to the children and animals. Guilt crept into your mind.

He's just another mortal, you reminded yourself and carried on with your day.

*

By noon all of your chores were done and you decided to head down to Shuri's lab to assist her. You pushed the heavy door open to see Bucky sitting uncomfortably on a cot with his shirt removed and folded neatly beside him.

"Alright, James, here you go. Just to try on." Shuri reminded him and pulled a sleek metal arm that was painted black with a gold pattern out of a brown leather case.

You watched in awe as she gently clicked into the vacant socket. He flexed it happily and extended this fingers. Pure joy was expressed through his cheesy smile and laugh. It was like that missing part, the reminder of his trauma and mistakes was gone. A new chapter of his life had begun. One where people trusted him, where he had control over his life again.

"It looks good," you told them and approached the table. Bucky's smile grew wider.

"I can finally punch you for being an ass," he joked.

"I'd like to see you try," you replied with a playful blow to his real arm.

"Be gentle, I'm old." He said which earned a laugh from you.

"Lets get your mind cleared, c'mon." You told him and walked with him over to the Quantum Field Generator.

"About this morning.." Be began.

"No, don't. It's my fault. I'll try to be more open, you deserve it. You're so friendly and caring. It's nice actually." You rambled on while powering the machine up.

"Well can I ask you one question," he requested. You nodded and began to work on removing the Winter Solider programing.

"When did it turn purple?" He asked. You knew he was going to ask that. And you had no choice but to give him the answer.

*

Sorry for the late update I'm hanging with my friend today!

Oli <3