Chapter 3

So, this was supposed to be up almost a week and a half ago but my computer hates me... While I have to say I love my laptop because I'm afraid if I say I hate it, it'll break down on me forever, it still decided to have a melt down thus leaving me with no laptop to write on.

My apologies....

To the people who sent the 59 messages currently raiding my inbox, I'm slowly working my way through them. I'm not ignoring you, I just have been very busy lately and my laptop refused to turn on.

Thank you to everyone who's reading and fanning and voting and commenting, you guys are all amazing!

(Sorry for any spelling/grammar errors)

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Chapter 3

Claire

                I pulled my purse closer to my side as I walked along the barely lit corridor. The fluorescent light cast the hall in a sickly pale shade and made everything look even worse, if that was possible. The once white walls were now a smeared grey with dirt and dare I say blood stains. The carpet was dirty and stained I feared infested with spiders. The walls must have been paper thin because as I walked I could hear the blaring of t.v’s coming from inside the apartments. I winced as I heard a particularly loud argument between a man and woman that were obviously drunk off their ass.

                “Paige, you so owe me for this.” I muttered, jumping as a loud crash sounded from behind a closed door.

                Agreeing to Paige’s request is what landed me in this dump after work on a Thursday evening. When I’d pulled up to the address I’d been very hesitant to leave my very new, and very expensive, car sitting out front. I’d even gone so far as to consider leaving and taking a taxi back but in the end, I’d straightened my blazer and pulled myself from the safety of my car. Now I was regretting ever agreeing to this. I followed the numbers on the apartment door until I came across the one I was looking for; 6G.

                I hesitated, unsure of what to say when he answered. Hi, I know we’ve never met but I’m the one sent to check up on you and make sure you’re still alive after you cut off all contact. By the way, I’m sorry to hear about the death of your mate. Somehow that didn’t seem like it would go over very well. Taking a deep breath, I decided to just wing it and see what happens. I raised my hand and knocked.

                Nothing happened.

                I frowned and knocked again. Still, nothing happened. I looked back at the piece of paper Paige had given me with Peter’s address on it and made sure I was in the right place. After confirming that this dump was indeed the place Peter lived in, I knocked again. Annoyance started to kick in as the door remained firmly closed. Breathing in deeply, I knocked but this time kept knocking until the door was finally thrown open with an angry huff.

                “What?” The guy I assumed was Peter barked at me.

                I nearly gagged on the stench of stale alcohol and old takeout food that threatened to overwhelm me. Jeez, I knew the guy was in bad shape but this is really terrible. Dressed in a stained white shirt and checkered boxers, the man before me reeked of beer and sweat. His brown hair was disheveled and dirty and his face was in dire need of a shave. Bright green eyes glared back at me as he stood, waiting for me to say something.