3 - Prove Thy Worth

"Ethan can go to the crows for all I care!" Nico shouted heatedly.

"I know," Perseus replied automatically.

"He just wants to embarrass me. He knows I have more influence than him. He's jealous and hungry for power."

"I know."

"I'm good, but I'm not that good! You know my talents lie in espionage. He knows that! Everyone who's allowed to know that knows that!"

"I know."

"You'd never dismiss me, I'm too good at what I do. And you'd be out your best physician because we both know Will would come with me."

"I know."

"But I can't throw the fight if he's building me up. I'd lose respect with the nobles."

"I know."

"Will you stop saying that, Percy? What don't you know, huh?"

"How you're going to win this fight. Or lose but only just."

Perseus had been listening to Nico rant for the better half of the allotted time. Soon a serving girl came in to inform them that they had only five minutes left, so Perseus wished him luck and made his way to the viewing platform, gracefully taking his seat on a temporary throne used for outdoor events.

On the other end, Jason was pacing back and forth, waiting to be summoned for the fight. At last, the serving girl popped in.

"Are you ready, sir?" she asked.

Jason gave a pained sighed. "No," he answered honestly.

The girl giggled a little, but she had a sympathetic smile. "May I give you some advice, sir?"

She half expected him to dismiss anything she had to say. No one would take a serving girl's advice seriously.

Jason's response surprised her. "Only if you tell me your name."

He did not say it seductively as others might have. He seemed genuinely interested and only asked to be polite.

She smiled a little more. "I am Calypso. And I do not think you will have a problem defeating Lord Nico. But..."

"Yes?"

"You should put on a show. Do not win easily."

Jason furrowed his eyebrows and frowned slightly. It made the small scar on his lip stand out more. Calypso was surprised he considered her words in the first place.

"Why would I do that? Surely they would respect me more if I won quickly?"

Calypso made a face, wondering to agree or deny it.

"Lord Nico has the king's ear. Lord Ethan, the one who suggested the fight against him, wishes to have His Majesty's favor instead. You could defeat him quickly, gain the nobles respect for a time. The soldiers would favor you for your skill. However, the king will not. He supports Lord Nico, trusts him most. If you make him the fool, he will not be pleased."

"But I cannot lose. I will be disgraced."

"Yes, you must win. But make it look as if the win was hard fought. Then you will have the king's favor, even if the nobles will distrust you still. In my opinion, sir, they will remain distrustful regardless of the outcome."

Jason nodded his head. He had much to contemplate and no time to do so. Faster than he wanted, a slender man in black armor stood twenty paces away. He was a few inches shorter, yet clearly experienced if his stance was anything to go by. The questions were: Was Jason's skill enough? And if it was, how much should he show?