Chapter Nine - Her Self Care

I couldn't quite enjoy a quiet evening in when blasting music was coming from Marcus's apartment next door. The only thing stopping me from anonymously complaining was that it was music from the fifties and not currently giving me a headache. Also, I wasn't sure that our landlord cared that our walls were paper thin.

Taking into consideration that my parents basically socialized me from childhood, I was used to their music taste - the oldies. I guess the love for it kind of stuck with me. I was surprised Marcus listened to that kind of music.

Here's my story, it's sad but true
It's about a girl that I once knew
She took my love then ran around
With every single guy in town-

I heard a smash and a groan as the music abruptly ended. Not a moment later I heard Marcus's door slam shut.

"Maybie!" His loud, obnoxious voice sounded outside my door at 9PM. Why the hell someone decided to disturb me at this hour was beyond me. Of course I knew who was at the door because no one had ever called me such a ridiculous nickname in my life, but the why of it was still unclear.

"What do you want?" I called from my couch as I leaned down, painting my toenails a very bright red.

"Baaambi," Marcus sang, "Open up!"

"Why?" I asked skeptically.

"Is this anyway Frodo would have treated Gandalf?" Marcus snapped.

"I think he would if Gandalf appeared at his hobbit home unannounced," I replied snarkily.

"He literally did, Mabel. And he was welcomed like a God."

I got up from the couch with a groan and walked to the door, "You're such a nerd." I cranked the door open with force, "What, Marcus?"

Marcus took a second to glance at my caked on, grey face mask, tattered hakuna matata t-shirt and leggings. My toes were wedged into foam separators as my nail polish dried. "What did I walk into on a Friday night? And I'm sorry, I'm the nerd?"

I gave him a blank stare as I hobbled back into my apartment, Marcus following me and closing the door behind him. He plopped his unusually large body on my couch and I narrowed my eyes at him. "Hey," he drawled. "Watcha up to?"

"It's called self care," I gestured to the length of my body, "Ever heard of it?"

He wiggled his eyebrows, "I'm proficient in self care."

"Ew."

"Let's go out," He interjected, leaning back and folding his hands behind his head, his gaze set on me.

I pointed to my face mask, "This takes fifteen minutes to dry. Plus, I have a pizza coming."

He lifted an eyebrow, "A pizza, eh?"

"Sorry, let me clarify. One pizza. For me. Because I'm hungry and I want to pig out and watch Netflix. On my own."

He grinned at me, "Jeez, I have no idea what you're getting at there, Maybie. But it sounds like you're angling for some company. Don't worry, I'm here to fill the void." He paused for a moment, "Did you get the double entendre?"

I rolled my eyes at him, "Obviously." I didn't. "I don't live under a rock." Except I really did used to. A neurotic, paranoid, afraid-of-everything rock.

He put his hands up in apology, "Sorry, sorry."

"Where would you even want to go anyway?" I asked curiously.

Marcus shrugged, "A bar. A restaurant. Skating. I don't really care. We have to practice your flirting skills anyway."

It did seem tempting in my quest to get a Jackson, but I was already in my pjs and that seemed more important. "How about one slice of pizza and a face mask?" I bartered. He seemed like he needed it, poor guy.

He smiled at me, "Deal." He stuck out his large hand and I gripped his, shaking firmly before letting go.

"Sit back," I instructed as I peeled open another mud mask.

"What should I expect?" He asked nervously as he did as I said.

"Glowing skin and a general feeling of beauty. I wish I could say a slight personality change, but I'm not working with miracles here." I took a glob of the concoction on my fingers before smearing it on his face.

"It's gooey," He stated in disgust.

I laughed, "What did you expect?" I spread the paste onto his cheeks first, noting his extraordinary cheekbones, down his angular nose, across his chin and strong jawline, which was covered in a short beard. My fingers travelled up to his forehead as I noted his hazel eyes locked on my face.

"There," I stepped back to admire my work. I walked to the kitchen to wash my hands. "I didn't think you listened to fifties music," I called as I dried my hands, walking back to the living room.

He chuckled, "You really can hear everything."

"You have no idea," I replied sarcastically. "I have enough ammo to make my own porno. It wouldn't be a good one, I mean. But an entire movie nonetheless."

Marcus blushed slightly, scratching the back of his head, "Er, sorry about that. I'll try to be more discreet."

I waved my hand, "Whatever." I glanced at his playful smile before adding, "I mean, it's not like I enjoy listening to it. It's actually pretty irritating and very loud might I add. I'm not saying that's bad, obviously. I'm sure that just means it's great for you. And her. For you two. Lucky guys," I gave him two thumbs up and proceeded to mentally dig my grave.

He burst out laughing, "Are you okay?"

I shot him a glare before pulling out my phone and snapping a quick picture of him. "There. I have dirt on you now, which I won't hesitate to distribute at your next poker game. Just try and test me, buddy."

The knock on my door signalled my dinner and I bounced to the door, grabbing the pizza from the delivery man. I put a finger up, "Let me grab my wallet."

Marcus was behind me in a moment and handed a few bills to the delivery guy before he walked away. Marcus took the pizza box from my hands with a grin, "Thanks for the pizza, Maybie."

"Don't call me that," I groaned. "And you only get one slice!"

"I can't open my mouth," He groaned as he flexed his jaw, still caked in the face mask.

<<<>>>

Thanks to my grandfather for giving me great music to listen to growing up. Questionable song to teach a four year old I gotta say.

This story may have a heavy fifties music influence, just so you know. I hope that doesn't bug anyone too much! I just feel like it fits with Mabel's personality. And it's a little tribute to my grandpa who's been such an influence in my life.