Chapter Twenty Eight - His Decision

"Hand over the goddamn ketchup, Marcus," Captain John snapped

I jumped, glancing at his seemingly irritated face. What the hell was his problem? I handed over the ketchup, slowly and with a wary expression. Who knew when this lunatic would snap again.

"You can't ignore me for five minutes and then look at me like I'm nuts," He grumbled as he squirted the ketchup onto his burger, shoving the bun closed with force. He took a large bite of the burger, chewing loudly, "What's on your mind anyway? You've been out of it all day."

I took a sip of my coke, shrugging, "Nothing new."

He grunted with a scoff, "Sure doesn't seem like it."

If I was being honest, I was feeling like shit. I couldn't stop thinking of Mabel living out her goddamned fairy tale ending. I was so happy that she was happy. Anyone who could see her smile would know it was worth it. But I was having trouble coming to terms with these feelings. Maybe it was because I was destined to live the rest of my life hopelessly alone.

What the hell was I saying?

It wasn't like I could have a relationship with her or anyone else after everything I'd been through. I wasn't meant to be in a relationship. I wasn't made for them. I was better off alone. People cheated and betrayed. People let you down. People were selfish.

Mabel isn't.

I shook my head. I needed to get laid. It had been too long. And what was I holding off for anyway? For a girl who was out of my league and with another guy. That wasn't me anymore. I'm not going to act like a lovesick puppy over a chick. I needed to focus on me again. That's what I was best at and if I didn't do that, no one else would.

Mabel would.

My chair scuffed against the floor loudly as I shoved it back, getting up from the table. Captain John gave me a look, "What the hell, Marcus."

I ignored him and headed to my bunk, gathering my things into my duffel bag at the end of my shift. My fingers hesitated on my phone as I pulled it out. Mabel's name came up but I scrolled past it to Joey's.

"Marcus!" Joey greeted enthusiastically.

"Hey," I replied, zipping up my bag. "Want to go out tonight?"

"Hell yeah, man. Where've you been? I'm sick of goddamn poker. I've been waiting for months."

I didn't know why I hadn't gone out with Joey. It was so outside of the normal that the last two years of my life had been. I kind of liked this new change even though I didn't want to admit it to myself.

"I'm just headed home and I'll shower and meet you at the pub?" I asked as I hoisted my bag on my shoulder, atop my blue fire station t-shirt.

"Sounds good," Joey responded hanging up.