For Every Question We Answer, A Million More Pop Up

"Okay, what do we have so far?"

Chanyeol rounded up his friends after school to meet in the library again. Baekhyun stayed home to take a nap (not that he needed sleep), so they had all the privacy they needed to discuss their murder mystery without having tables chucked at them. They sat in a circle in the very back of the library, out of earshot of the librarian.

"There's three weapons, three outfits, three suspects, and we're still unsure who did it?" Sehun scoffed. "Obviously, Mr. Kim, Mr. Suho, and Ms. Bae killed him and each were armed with their own weapon. They even admitted they know how he died."

"You seem to be forgetting they were only seven or eight when he died." Chanyeol reminded him. "There's no way a bunch of kids would organize some elaborate murder or, you know, kill somebody."

"It is kind of suspicious." Kai said. "How coincidental is it that we find three outfits, three weapons, and have three main suspects who know the truth and were alive when it happened? Sure, they were young, but there's got to be a connection here."

Kyungsoo leaned back in his chair, stroking his chin thoughtfully. "Maybe we've got the wrong people. We haven't even considered the roommate yet."

"Shit, I forgot about the roommate." Sehun groaned.

"Well, Baekhyun seems pretty fond of his roommate. He was telling me how he always came by Delight Candy and was really nice to him. He spoke about him with no ill will."

"Then, where is he now? Why have we never heard from him? Why didn't he try to get this story some coverage if he really cared about Baekhyun?"

"Wait." Kai said, turning the heads of the others. "What if Baekhyun's actually a criminal?"

"What?"

"Think about it;" He leaned in, and the others followed suit. "He worked at a candy shop, right? And he gave candy to kids all the time. What if he poisoned people and his roommate found out about it? Baekhyun was scared that he would tell the police, so he killed him and dumped his body somewhere. His neighbors found out that he was actually a serial killer after his roommate went missing, so they ganged up and killed him."

He looked from face to face, seeing his friends staring back at him as if he were the craziest person they had ever met.

"That's...ridiculous and doesn't make any sense." Kyungsoo said. "If he was secretly killing people, why wouldn't they just report him instead of murder him themselves? It's just unnecessarily convoluted."

"Maybe, but I think the candy has something to do with it."

"Mr. Kim did say he used to steal candy from Baekhyun." Chanyeol reminded them. "I don't see how that's related though."

"You know what? I say we do some investigating on Ms. Bae, Mr. Kim, and Mr. Suho." Sehun said. "They know too much to be innocent, and they're clearly trying to brush this under the rug. We're not going to get any answers unless we do a little snooping."

👻👻👻

That night, they went spying. Kai went to Ms. Bae's house, Sehun went to Mr. Kim's house, and Chanyeol and Kyungsoo teamed up to find Mr. Suho at the cemetery. It was far too late at night to be creeping around graves in the dark, but they were determined to dig up something (possibly literally if it came down to it). With lanterns in hand, they crept past the rusty gates and trudged deeper into the eerie field of death.

Mr. Suho was known for hanging around the cemetery even after his work was complete. He usually sat in the mausoleum and read by candlelight in the little makeshift home he made for himself. Of course, he had an actual house he lived in, but the neighbors saw him at the cemetery more often.