Chapter Eighteen

Attached to this chapter is a painting by Leonid Afremov. That's how I image Dani's painting style.

-G

-

According to Wikipedia, Senior Skip Day is a tradition in many American schools where the majority of the class skip school, often to spend the day at an amusement park or a resort.

According to me, Senior Skip Day is a tradition to skip school, sit on the couch and watch terribly unrealistic TV shows that include ridiculously hot guys. That's why I'm sitting on the couch in my PJ's at twelve o'clock in the afternoon while eating Caption Crunch watching the Vampire Diaries.

No matter how many love triangles are formed, I can't stop watching. I mean, one minute they're trying to break each other's necks, and the next they're making out. Everybody on this show makes out. So far, I've seen an evil doppelganger, three people turned to vampires and one girl set her house on fire with the her brothers dead body in it.

I love it.

I'm on my fifth episode when Craig knocks on the door. I know it's him because he's been texting me all day. My phone has been vibrating no stop since I woke up, but I've been to occupied falling in love with Ian Somerhalder to answer. His messages have consisted of:

Hey.

What are you doing at the moment?

Text me back.

DANI.

I'm coming over.

I mean, come one! You'd think a guy with as good of grades as him would have an exam to study for or something. He's here instead though, bugging me about whatever it is he's about to bug me about. I remove myself from the cushioned couch and place my unfinished cereal on the table. Strolling over to the door slowly, I can imagine Craig standing on the other side of it, tapping his foot impatiently.

When I finally open it he shakes his head, his light brown hair swaying slightly. "What if it was something important?" Craig says, skipping right to the point.

"You would've called," I answer, knowing this for a fact. "Plus, I was busy," I add, throwing my hair over my shoulder.

"So, you're just gonna stay home all day on Senior Skip Day?" He asks, raising his eyebrows.

I scrunch my eyebrows. "Don't try to make that sound like a bad thing."

Craig doesn't say anything for a minute. Finally, he begins to smile lightly and says, "I want to show you something."

He gestures for me to come outside but I don't budge. I think the commercial is over on the TV. "What do you mean?"

"I have to show you something. It's in town."

I scrunch up my face. "In town? I can't leave."

"Why not?"

"I've got cereal in the living room and it's getting all soggy-"

"Do you want to be a couch potato, Dani?"

I chuckle. "Is that a trick question?"

Craig sighs and his face grow serious. "Look, it won't take long. Will and Abigail will be there too."

Even though I'm outstandingly confused, I'm even more curious. I quickly get dressed and brush my teeth. We go in Craig's beat up car that smells like French fries. On the way, I text Will.