irresponsibility

chapter eight : irresponsibility

season five
episode two

8. irresponsibility

The pretty gray haired woman's name was Carol. 

She had introduced herself to the new members of the group, including Prim and Teddy. She also informed them all that she was the one to get them out of that horrid place. How she did it was beyond them, but their lives were now rested in her hands and they owed her everything. Prim couldn't think about what would've happened if Carol didn't intervene, the thought made her weak in the knees.

In all reality, she wanted to break and fall into the woman's arms. She wanted to hold her and cry into her shoulder a million thank yous because at the moment, just looking at the woman overwhelmed her. It had all hit the moment she locked eyes with Carol back in the woods. She was taken back by her warming smile as she held her hand out in front of the girl politely to introduce herself.

Prim only stared at the woman, not making any moves to shake her hand as she hadn't even realized the woman was speaking to her.

Teddy rescued her from that situation though, knowing her sister wasn't good with meeting new people, even in the old world. 

"Hi!" Teddy had chimed in, interrupting the internal battle within Prim's mind and snapped her out of her frozen stare. Carol looked down at the blonde instead with a small smile.

"Hello," she greeted but her eyes slid from the blondes and onto Prim's watery blue, her frown evident as she went to speak but Daryl had stopped her. He had his hand on Carol's shoulder, his other cupping the side of her cheek. 

"She's been through hell the past few days, best to give her some space," he spoke in a slight whisper and Carol allowed him to pull her into a walk, letting her lead them to saftey.

Prim's feet didn't move beneath her until she felt Teddy's hand pull hers slightly. A hand on her shoulder motivated her forward as Glenn gave her a gentle glance. 

They moved through the woods and up a rode, their destination unknown yet Carol held a certain visible pride over her head. They put every ounce of their trust in her, or some of them did at least. The Bennett girl was still on edge, now more than ever. She was overwhelmed as she walked amongst these people. She didn't know any of them and the thought scared her. Yet despite the urge to turn around, she couldn't get her feet to do so. She wasn't even sure she would be walking if it wasn't for Teddy practically pulling her to.

Her eyes wandered every bit of everything. From the pebbles below her scraping feet against the pavement to the trees around them that whistled slightly and the darkening of the smokey grey sky. the smell of the burning reminded her of her brother's cigarettes against his lips. He used to sit besides her on the back porch as they watched the day end. She reminisced on the memories before her senses were filled with reality. The smell of smoke was paired with the smell of rotting flesh, one in which she had grown used to over the years. Then her eyes would look out to the people around her. Their weapons, their shoes scraping against the pavement, and the hands clasped in hands. She watched every ounce of movements they made with her butterfly knife hidden in her sleeve. Her thumb pressed lightly against the blade to soothe her weak knees.