shadows of us

shadows of us.

Prim was numb.

The hurricane of emotions she had experienced within the past few hours on the road stripped every aspect of motivation she once held. It sent her into a fit of overwhelming exhaustion. The only thing on her mind was guilt.

Her blue stared out of the car window into the almost pitch black darkness Daryl drove into. She watched as the car ever so slowly entered the deserted city of Atlanta. Buildings were destroyed, debris from the late bombs littered the once beautiful scenery, turning it into darkness and horror.

Prim shivered in her spot.

She was curled up in a ball in the backseat, just waking up from the nightmare traced sleep she had been in minutes prior. Her index and thumb pressed the locket hanging around her neck, biting on her bottom lip as she watched Daryl park the car in the midst of the dark streets.

The man kept peaking at her through the rear view mirror. This she was aware of as she made silent eye contact with him multiple times. It drive her insane to know he had been watching her, making her feel as if her skin was crawling.

The tension in the vehicle suffocated her greatly, leaving her with only the tiniest bit of air to focus.

The air outside of the car caved in and Prim knew that whatever Daryl had planned would end in something horrible.

They were parked in the dark streets, watching a car across the block warily.

The past two hours had been stressful. When Prim left the church to find Teddy, she ran into the archer and Carol with the blonde no where to be found. Moments later, before the brunette could even think to turn around and continue her search, a black car had sped by, sending a whirlwind of debris and leaves to stir in the air. With no time to waste, Daryl shoved them into the car, frantically explaining that the vehicle was the same one that kidnapped Beth.

Since then, they had followed the car into the city in attempt to find the whereabouts of their precious Greene.

"What the hell's he waiting for?" Daryl broke the silence. They studied as the funeral car parked outside of a random building, the same hearse with the painted cross on the rear window.

"There's two of them," the man's hoarse voice spike again when someone exited out of the hearse. "Is that a cop?" It was too dark to tell for sure, but the man definitely had on some type of uniform.

Carol reached for her gun, causing the archer to look her way in question. "They might've seen us." Silence followed her explanation, filling the space between until a sudden hand slammed into the window, interrupting their plans. The two up front jumped drastically all the while Prim gasped so loud she was sure the man with the uniform could hear. She jolted upwards frantically, sending Daryl to reach back towards instinctively.

"Sh, sh, sh, sh, shhhh," he soothed with a wave of his hand. Prim's hand fell to her chest, taking a deep breath as she realized the bang came from a simple walker that had caught them hiding.

Carol sighed.

The girl called herself down. She scooted away from the dead one, pulling her knees to her chest where her forehead fell to rest against them.

The walker continued to throw himself at the car. The trio froze, trying to ignore him but when they focused on the unknown men across the street, they realized one had been staring in their direction. Breaths were held and not a single sound was heard from within the safety of the vehicle until the men got into the hearse and drove off once more.