Chp. 8: A New Day

The next morning, a low mist hung tight to the forest floor as Micah sealed up his hideaway for what would, hopefully, be the last time. Normani waited for him right outside the bunker, smiling as they nodded to one another before walking back into the jungle. As they walked, Micah pulled something out of his pocket, showing it off to the ebony.

"Know what this is?" he said.

Normani eyed it before taking a soft hold of it.

"A raptor claw," she said. "I used to have one of these – a fossil."

"Mine's new."

Normani was impressed as she handed the claw back. The more she spent time with Micah, the more she started to notice him becoming more and more of a normal, thirteen-year-old boy. His innocence was returning.

"How much of this island have you explored?" Normani asked.

"I stayed pretty close to the compound," Micah answered. "Figured if anyone came to look for me, that's where they'd start."

"We need to head for the coast," Normani informed.

"Are you sure?" Micah asked.

"Why?"

"The closer you get to the water, the bigger things get."

Normani chuckled before bringing an arm around Micah's shoulders.

"Don't worry, kid. You're with me now."

Elsewhere in the jungle, Billy and Meagan wait for Lauren as she came out of the bushes, hiking up her jeans.

"Alright," Billy said, "we need to stick to the plan. Head for the coast."

"What about Micah and Dr. Hamilton?" Meagan asked.

"Going to the coast was Dr. Hamilton's idea," Billy answered. "If she's alive, that' where she's headed."

"And Micah?" the ebony pressed.

"He probably has a better chance by the coast as it is," Lauren said. "He always believed that all the big dinosaurs lived in the center of the island. Right?"

The raven-haired looked to Billy for confirmation, Billy sporting a tight-lipped smile.

"Sure."

Meanwhile, as Normani and Micah walked, both stopped after hearing a strange sound. For the first time since landing on this god-forsaken island, this sound wasn't an eerie one. It was human. A phone was ringing very faintly. Without a word to each other, Normani and Micah determined that the sound was coming from the right. Recognizing the familiar tune, Micah smiles before calling out to his mothers.

"MAMA! MAMÍ!!!"

Micah took off in the direction of the ringing, Normani following close behind him.

"How do you know where you're going?" Normani asked as she tried to keep up.

"Jauregui Paint and Tile Plus!" Micah replied. "I'd recognize that ringtone anywhere! MAMA!!! MAMÍ!!!"

Further away, Meagan was the first to stop, hearing a faint call out in the distance. She recognized the voice immediately before her heart began to race. Lauren noticed it immediately after before the couple dashed toward the voice.

"MICAH!" they both yelled as they ran, Billy following close behind them.

"This way!" Lauren said as she held her wife's hand.

The split group of survivors grew closer and closer together, Micah, Lauren, and Meagan all continuing to call out to each other as they ran. Soon, they met at a large gate that separated some of the compound from the rest of the jungle. The couple grew overwhelmed with relief at the sight of their only child, hugging him as best they could through the chain-like fence as he melted into their embrace.