Chp. 12: The Final Showdown

The four survivors sat back on the wide trunk of a massive tree, Normani keeping watch as the family of three cuddled up to one another. Mist from the earlier rainfall had settled around them, causing a sense of calm to finally overtake them. Trying to keep everyone's spirit's up, Lauren started reminiscing.

"You remember when we went fishing last summer?" she asked her family. "And I was trying to put the boat in and the trailer sank? And then the two trucks came and tried to pull it out, but it got dragged in? And the truck driver threatened to knock my lights out? So, I said I was the governor and he believed me?"

Micah smiled, remembering that day perfectly.

"Yeah," he chuckled, leaning into the raven-haired woman as she tussled his curly hair.

Meagan smiled beside herself, laughing at the memories from that day flooding her mind.

"That was a fun day," Lauren chuckled.

"We should go again..." Meagan said, "...maybe this time things will actually go right."

Lauren smiled at her wife before kissing her temple. Normani smiled before continuing to keep watch. Micah glanced at her before moving to sit next to her.

"Do you think your message got through to Dr. Hansen?" he asked. "About us needing help?"

Normani smiled.

"Absolutely," she said. "She's the one person I can always count on. She's saved me more times than she even realizes..."

Micah smiled before leaning into the ebony, Normani smiling down at him as he began to drift off to sleep. After about an hour, Lauren and Meagan were also fast asleep, leaving Normani alone with her thoughts. She had faith that she was going back home. It may have taken her longer than expected, but she would be coming back home. The next morning came sooner than anyone wanted. Securing what little they had left, the group of four continued their journey to the coast. After a while, Micah stopped in his tracks, causing the adults to do the same.

"You guys hear that?" he asked.

Normani listened closely before recognizing the sound.

"Water..." she said.

Realizing they were closer to the coast than they thought, everyone sprinted ahead before a raptor cut them off. The whole pack came soon after, circling the group and forcing them down on their knees. Normani had completely forgotten about Billy's pack before this very moment.

"They want the eggs..." she uttered, "...that's the only reason they're still after us..."

One of the raptors stalked up to Meagan, sniffing her before brushing its snout against her face. The ebony's breathing became shaky as she clutched onto Lauren's hand.

"They think you have the eggs," Normani said to her.

Meagan looked up before taking a deep breath.

"Give...me...the eggs..." she said.

Normani made careful moves of taking Billy's pack off her shoulders. She brought the eggs out one at a time, passing them to Meagan as she laid them on the ground to present to the raptors. At the sight of their offspring, the predators sounded their call, causing Normani to remember the resonating chamber Billy had printed up back at the dig site. She brought it out, waiting until all the eggs were on the ground. She blew into it, causing the raptors to look around before mimicking the sound.

"Call for help..." Lauren whispered to Normani.

The ebony did so, the sound putting the animals on high alert. One by one, each raptor took their respective eggs before dashing back into the jungle. The group of four breathed sighs of relief before getting back on their feet. They ran to the beach, only to come into the sights of a man in a suit. He brought a bull horn to his lips before speaking into it.

"Dr. Hamilton? Dr. Normani Hamilton?"

The ebony rolled her eyes before Lauren and Meagan ran to stop him, waving their arms in the air wildly.

"STOP!" they yelled. "THAT'S A VERY BAD IDEA!"

Just as Normani and Micah ran up behind them, tanks and submarines emerged from under the water, a helicopter flying in before landing nearby. Everyone looked in amazement as men and women in uniform came to aid them.

"Dr. Hansen must really love you," Micah said. "She sent the navy and the army!"

Normani smiled before looking at the sky.

"Thanks for the save, lovely..." she said, referring to Dinah, "...I'm coming home..."

The man with the bull horn escorted Normani to the chopper.

"We were able to rescue another survivor further back!" he yelled over the chopper.

Normani eyed him before looking back. Tears immediately filled her eyes before kneeling beside Billy – his body was all bandaged up aside from his face. His eyes slowly opened at the feeling of Normani's soft hand on his cheek. He looked up at her and smiled weakly.

"Good to see you Dr. Hamilton..." he uttered.

Normani laughed while wiping away her tears.

"You have no idea how good it is to see you again..." she smiled, "...I thought I lost you. I'm so sorry for what I said to you. You did have the best intentions."

Billy smiled before grabbing a hold of his boss's hand.

"Make sure to spoil that wife of yours," he said. "She saved our asses, big time..."

"Believe me, I plan to."

"Dr. Hamilton!" one of the pilots called from the cockpit. "We're ready for departure!"

Normani nodded before getting to her seat, securing herself as Lauren, Meagan, and Micah did the same. The young boy looked back at the island as it grew smaller from distance.

"What do you think will happen to the dinosaurs?" he asked.

"The population will stabilize eventually," Normani answered. "They'll adapt to fit different roles."

"That," Lauren chimed in, "or the government will firebomb it back to the stone age."

"Something they'd actually do right," Meagan said.

Everyone chuckled before Micah spoke up again softly for only Normani to hear.

"I hope not..." he said, "...I wanna come back someday..."

Normani looked back at the island herself, smiling as a sudden realization came to her.

"If technology works to properly accommodate them where they belong, so would I..." she said.