Peculiar ways of life

"Excuse me....Excuse me"

Balancing the metro card, wallet, keys in one hand, and books in the other I somehow managed to cut through the insane crowd of the metro station. How is it even possible? How come the whole station gets crowded in a span of 5 minutes? There was literally no one before the damned red line metro made its entrance.

The heavy bag on my shoulder wasn't helping my case either. It was all Noor's mistake. The girl needs a dose of momos every other day. And because of satiating her wishes, I have to bear the severe consequences. And I am not even that big fan of Momos! Ok, who am I even kidding? Momos are worth everything. 

I glanced at my watch and it was 20 minutes past 7.

Shit! Shit! The metro is about to leave. Run, Anthika, run. God, Anthika! If the metro leaves you will have to wait for another 10 minutes. 

I hurried down the staircases merely balancing my clumsy self and all the accessories that adorned my hands. Fortunately, the metro didn't leave and somehow I managed to make it onto the platform in one piece. As  I stepped into the metro a rush of cool air struck my face and just then the metro doors closed with a ding.

The good thing about the timing was the fact that the metro was empty. Quite unusual,  but I didn't let it bother me. I took a seat and kept all my stuff in the bag except the novel I had been trying to complete.

 I engaged myself with the novel. Travelling into another world of love, hope, and happiness. Reading and getting lost in the fictional world is my favourite hobby. Sometimes I get so lost that dragging myself back into reality seems impossible. Yeah, it's concerning, I know. But it is what I love the most. Books are my escape. I just love how some stories can convey the most complex feelings with such ease. Good books have immense power to shape the reader's mind and give them a whole new perspective on life, thus, reading and learning about different shades of life through books is what I do to seek happiness and I love every bit of it.

"The book looks interesting." A deep voice interrupted my inner thoughts.  

 I tilted my head a little and my eyes met with a familiar set of onyx eyes. I didn't even realize someone was seated next to me.  And not just someone. It was Yug. The dancing heartthrob of DU. I have never met him personally but I have seen him dance and I would be lying if I said I wasn't enthralled by him. He was a lot cuter up close. Wearing a white shirt with rolled-up sleeves and blue jeans I could see why he got the title of 'heartthrob'. He smiled and raised his eyebrows signalling towards my book.

"Uh yeah, it's a great book. Yug, right?". 

He smirked  "Woah! Woah!  Am I talking to a stalker or something?"  

I  answered him back with a straight face and menacing smile. " I don't know about that, but I do know everything about you YUG. Everything " I tilted my head a little bit to improvise my act.

The look of amusement vanished from his face interchanging with a terrified look. I couldn't hold my laugh after seeing the horrified expression on his face. Damn, he actually bought my act. I was still laughing my heart off till he caught my act. He gave me an incredulous look, rolled back his shoulders and shook the horrified expression off his face.   

"It wasn't funny" he replied with a poker face "And how do you know my name?"

"You are 'The dancing heartthrob of DU'! How can any DU student NOT know your name?"

He nodded, something in his expression changed. He signalled towards the book in my lap. "What is it about ?" 

I glanced at him trying to decipher the sudden mood change but replied nonetheless.   

"It's quite a  thoughtful book."

"Thoughtful? How come?"

"Well, Do you really wanna know? It can turn a little philosophical."

"I don't mind philosophical."

"Well then, the author has shown 4 different stories about 4 different people. At first glance, you would think they all are similar but if you look a little deeper you will end up finding these minute differences that would give the reader a whole new perception about the characters.  And this is what I like the most about this book. Don't you think this is what happens in real life too? We meet a lot of people and form perceptions about them but to actually understand someone you have to put in a lot of effort. "

He nodded and with a small smile said "I don't read much but with the way you talk about it ..it seems quite intriguing so I think it deserves a read"

I smiled and nodded "It sure does"

The whole time I was praying that I wouldn't do or say something embarrassing. 

I didn't need to do anything another embarrassing moment of my life was ensured when the automated voice announced.

"Next station is Chandani Chowk. The doors will open on the left. Please the mind gap."

I jumped after hearing the announcement. "What? Chandani chowk? How's that possible? What the hell? Please don't tell me I took the wrong metro." 

I glanced at my watch and it was 35 minutes past 8.  

"Oh my God.. Oh my God. What will I do now? By the time I reach my station it will be past 9."

"Hey, you okay? " asked the guy at whom I was laughing just a few minutes back. Now look who is having a breakdown in a metro?

"I..I missed my station." My embarrassed soul whispered. 

"Oh" He scratched the back of his neck and offered  

"If you want, I can accompany you till we reach your station?" 

I looked at him shockingly. "Uhh thanks, but you don't need to bother. I will manage. It's honestly so late. You don't need to suffer because of my idiocy"

"No, it's fine. I honestly don't wish to go home right now." He forced a little smile.

I nodded. The doors opened at Chandni Chowk station and we deboarded the metro. 

Life has a very peculiar way of making things happen. Two strangers with opposite destinations can find themselves together in a place where they least imagine. It was really weird...How I had never talked to Yug in any of the fests, didn't even know his last name but here we were sitting on a deserted platform waiting for the next metro to arrive.