𝟒𝟒 | 𝐓𝐫𝐮𝐞 𝐄𝐦𝐨𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

"You're... Kishibi?" I say, stunned. "What are you doing here then?"

"W-What do you mean?" Kishibi asks, eyebrows raised high. "I came to watch Gaara and his siblings participate in the Chūnin Exams..." Her eyes flicker back down to Sakura, but not for the reason of checking her condition (which, apparently, is fine; the wounds on her face are already healed, so that's a good sign, right?). It'd been a guilty expression; one that liars often use.

My eyes instantly narrow. "Try again," I say.

"All right." A soft, nervous sigh escapes her. "I came to aid the alliance against the Hidden Leaf as a Medical Ninja. Where I live, there are few, but we are gifted."

"I wouldn't be explaining your career path right now if I were in your position." I take a step toward her.

"Don't try anything," Kishibi murmurs, looking away from me and down at Sakura. "If I stop now, your friend won't make it."

"You're an awful liar, Kishibi Hio. I can feel her chakra. She'll be just fine. Stand up and move away from her."

She sighs again, this one broken, but she relents, hands raised above her head when she pushes herself up from her knees to take several steps back.

"Now explain what you know about this alliance. No more lies. Why would you attack us?"

"For the same reason wars are always raged," she says. "Power, absolute. The Land of Wind may be one of the Five Great Ninja Nations, but compared to the Land of Fire, we are miniscule. Our Kazekage understands this."

I can't help myself at the mention of him—my fist instinctively launches itself into her face. I must've hit her harder than I thought because she goes flying several meters away. After a moment of staring up at the crown of trees above us, she stands again, her hands resuming their position next to her head.

"Your Kazekage's a bastard!" I shout at her, and she flinches. "Do you even know what he's done?! Not just today!" I gesture over my shoulder at the earth-shaking fight taking place behind us. "What he's done to Gaara?!"

"Yes, I know," Kishibi says. "I also know of the repercussions that are sure to follow. We aren't stupid. That's why we're using Gaara's power to win this fight."

"This isn't power! Your Kazekage cursed him!" I take fast steps at her, leaving Kishibi with little time to brace herself when I yank her toward me by the headband around her neck. "That demon up there has possessed Gaara and turned him into a monster!"

"I know," she says once more, averting her gaze again. This time, yes, it's guilty. It's also shamed. "I know... what the Kazekage did to him. I'm... not happy about it. But... there's nothing I can do." I shove her away, and she stumbles over a root.

"I'm highly aware of that. But that doesn't mean you can use him as a weapon against another village! Or use him as a weapon at all! Don't your people have any morals? Have you asked Gaara how he feels about being used like this? About being raised as a weapon?"