Chapter 21 || A Hockey Player With Brains, Who Knew?

𝐑 𝐎 𝐌 𝐀 𝐍' 𝐒   𝐏 𝐎 𝐕

"Do not forget that midterms are approaching, so please do not be those people who wait until that night before to prepare. Although, I feel like no one will listen and do exactly that."

Rounds of chuckles pass through the laboratory at our professor's remark before we all pack up our things. Checking my phone, I have some free time before I have to head to the arena to get ready for the game we have tonight.

"Have you started studying yet?" I ask Hollywood as she finishes packing her things and walks away from our lab desk, as I follow suit.

She nods her head before raising her eyebrow and smirking. "I'm guessing you haven't, from that question."

"Between practices and games since Thanksgiving. I haven't had the chance," I explain as we push through the double doors leading outside the building. "Feel like studying together this weekend?"

"As fun as that sounds," She trails off in a sarcastic tone. "I can't. It's Cara's art show on Saturday and I'll be spending all day helping her as well as calming her down," Rosalie hums as we walk into a coffee shop on campus.

"Next week? Do I need to beg? I really could use the help." I turn to her as we stand in line to order.

She smirks and crosses her arms, yet her eyes remain on the overhanging board above the counter with the menu on. "In a public place? I'm sure that would get around campus real quick."

"You're the devil, I'm sure of it." I point to her, and she shrugs.

"Sure, I'll help you. I need to study anyway. Did you actually need something from here?" She asks as she steps up to the counter and recites her order.

"I'm not here for your enjoyable presence," I scoff before reciting my own order, and her jaw drops as she shoots a glare my way. "Did Tavia talk to you about the New Year's trip they're planning?"

She nods her head. "She mentioned it and I made some joke about throwing you in an ice-cold lake."

"Are you and Cara coming?" I ask as I take out my wallet to grab some money, and my eyes flicker over to her.

"We'll be back down here considering class starts a few days after the New Year, so we said we'd come. Considering Cara and Miles' relationship with each other now, it might not just be me throwing you in a lake and Miles might join you," She laughs.

"Let's see who Isaiah and Tavia throw out first for arguing too much and getting on their nerves. Us two, or Miles and Cara," I joke, and the barista comes back over with our orders. I snatch Rosalie's purse from her hand before paying myself, yet all she does is smirk and turn to the barista.

"If he's paying, I'll also take a muffin."

❈❈❈

Skating across the ice, I body check an opposing player into the boards, getting a roar from the violent junkies in the first few rows of the bleachers. Shaking my head at their enthusiasm, I carry on skating up the ice with my eyes flickering from the players around me as well as the puck Wren is driving up to the opposing net.

His eyes flicker over to me, and he shoots it over, allowing me to get an assist as I slam it into the net. The crowd cheers and I skate around the side to gradually slow myself down as my teammates slap me on the back.

As the timer sounds at the end of the game, signaling our victory, Coach looks ecstatic, as do our players, while the other team looks glum. Taking a few moments to embrace the excitement of the people who came to watch, we then head off the ice and back into the locker room.

"Did you see the defenseman on the other team? He was huge," Miles comments as we all start to shower and change.

I chuckle, shaking my head before Atlas speaks up. "Don't tell me you were scared, Bennet. He wasn't that big."

Oh, he was, and Miles knows it too. "Hell, yeah he was. I was staying as far away from him as I possibly could."

"I'm ready to head to the party at the hockey house and drink to relax my muscles, I can tell you that," One of the players, Ty, states just as Coach walks in.

"I hope that drink is water," Coach comments and Ty nods his head, although we know and even Coach knows that's not what he meant. "You all played well tonight, the last game before the holidays as well. I hope you all play that well after when you're back and loaded up on your parents' cooking. I know some of you get a little slow."

Coach's pointed stare is aimed at Miles, who looks at us. "Is he talking about me? I'm always fast."

As soon as the words are out, a bunch of jockstraps are thrown at Miles. "Clearly not fast enough."

Atlas's comment has the entire locker room bursting out with laughter as Miles flips them off. We finish getting ready before we all start to make our way out of the locker room. Some guys get distracted by the puck bunnies waiting outside, and the rest of us march our way through.

Miles, Isaiah, and I head to my truck, getting in, and we make our way back to the house. Walking into the hockey house, the party is in full swing. Music blaring from the speakers at the DJ section we have set up, and the place full of people who watch the game here.

"I'm going to bail on tonight, need to start studying for midterms," I pat Isaiah and Miles' shoulders as I stand in the middle of them both.

"Sucks to be you," Miles comments before heading off to grab a beer, and I chuckle.

"Have fun studying," Isaiah snickers before he walks over to wrap his arms around Octavia, surprising her.

Waving to a few recognizable people on my way past, I head upstairs to my room and lock the door to keep people out. Throwing my bag down on the floor and grabbing some water from my mini fridge, I sit down at my desk. Opening my textbook, I send a picture to Hollywood of me studying.

A hockey player with brains? Who knew.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

𝐀 𝐔 𝐓 𝐇 𝐎 𝐑   𝐍 𝐎 𝐓 𝐄

  We are now halfway through PO! This sounds crazy to say since it doesn't feel like I even started uploading that long ago. The book will be completed by April with two uploads a week or March depending on how much I double update.

Speaking of...DOUBLE UPDATE DAY! 

This one is a smaller chapter so I figured I'd double update to give you guys something more to read. The next chapter is a lot longer. Also we're close to 150k reads! 

 Also we're close to 150k reads! 」