PROLOUGE - HEATHER

CHASED — IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE

-

( gif isn't working — ignore this )

-

CARTER SINCALIR. she worked at an ice cream shop. yes, an ice cream shop in the mall. it had an odd name, unique, unique enough for carter to forget it. even if she'd been working there for a year or two now.

to be frank, she'd only started working there as a bet, but the extra cash — which, although, was very little — was quite nice. and it helped out with her so-called siblings. she adored them, as she called deena and josh. after-all, they've lived and taken care of each other for three years now.

honestly, josh, deena, and the eldest's group of friends were the only teens who'd ever been, at least, remotely nice to carter. spare the few conversations she'd have with heather and ryan when they'd lock up together, as they were the only teenagers who worked at the mall if you don't count the janitor who was arrested at least ten times in the last three months.

and tonight was one of those nights. boring, silent , the light switch never working as always.

carter watched heather re-arrange the magazines at the front desk at the book shop across from her. she smiled, she'd won again that night, having locked up before her two work friends.

with the smug smirk on her face, carter made her way out of the shop with her things, turning off the light, and sliding the security gate down and locking the bottom to the floor-piece.

"well, well, watkins. looks like i win, again," carter laughs lightheartedly,

"hm, we'll see about that next time," heather retorts, silence falling upon them as carter politely agreed to help heather re-stock the book-shelves. they sat in silence on the dirty floor, martin obviously hadn't gotten here yet.

the silence was quite comfortable at first, as always, but, after a few minutes passed, carter felt herself getting more and more paranoid. ryan never took this long.

her thoughts were cut off by, of course, the desk phone ringing.

"hello?" heather semi-greets the caller, smiling after a few seconds.

carter looked at the blonde confusedly before turning back around and continuing to sort the — already sorted — books. as of now, she was un-organizing and re-organizing the 'fear street' series.

"yeah, okay," carter hears, looking to heather who was nodding before she hung up the phone.

"ryan says he's almost finished, he'll meet us in like ten minutes," heather informs her friend who nods,

"wanna wait by the rides?" carter asks, heather's face lighting up at the girl's suggestion, grabbing carter's hand and running out of the shop. she didn't bother closing since she knew they'd be returning from boredom.

and as soon as they walked a few feet away, carter stopped, causing heather's steps to come to a halt as-well,

"what? what is it, carter?"

the girls erupted jumped at the sound of metal rustling, looking to martin who was making his way into the book shop,

"night girls."

"night.." heather trails off, catching her breath and laughing a bit. "i don't know why that — oh my god!" heather shrieks, cutting herself off when feeling something odd creep up her back. she heard a slap noise as she turned around,

"what the hell, dude?" carter sneers angrily, her aggravated face refusing to leave, becoming like a concrete mask on her skin.

"sorry— sorry, it's just.. your faces!" ryan wheezes, almost dropping to his knees from laughter.

"you're lucky we need a ride, or i'd pelt you into the ground," carter crosses her arms, snatching the drink offered to her from ryan's hands aggressively, heather copying her actions.

"what? gonna punish me?" ryan play flirts, running his hands along the blow-up doll in his hands, giving the chest a squeeze that made carter want to slap him silly.

"you're disgusting," heather grimaces, sipping her drink.

"but you still wanna ride?" ryan asks, winking suggestively, mockingly moaning his name.

"dude!" carter hits his arm in annoyance, getting angrier and angrier at his jokes. the only thing was, it was the fact she kind of wanted to laugh that made her so angry., "i mean, god, who the hell names their kid ryan?"

"your future mother-in-law."

"okay, we're gonna finish closing up now," heather tells the boy in both annoyance and disgust, pulling carter towards the book shop.

they walked a bit away, still slurping on their sodas when ryan called out to them,

"what?"

"we didn't say anything, weirdo," heather lets out a short laugh. ryan looked around with confusion before turning around and returning to his shop to shut the gate.

he could've sworn someone whispered his name.