sixteen

16.

"Shit," Nessa hissed in a whisper, struggling to keep Dave on his feet as they made their way up his mother's porch. "I shouldn't have let you have those goodbye shots with Jimmy"

Dave laughed. "I'm fine," he slurred, but then his feet got caught up on the welcome mat by the door, and he almost tripped face-first into the floor. "That fucking thing is a health hazard"

Nessa wrapped an arm around Dave's waist as they tiptoed into the house, trying to keep their noise from waking his mother and sister at those hours of the night.

"No," Nessa muttered with a roll of her eyes. "Cheap whiskey is"

Dave snorted, his breathless chuckles becoming full laughs when Nessa desperately tried to shush him. Barely supporting Dave's weight on her shoulders, they made their way upstairs, but his knees gave in a few feet away from his bedroom's door and Dave dropped to the ground, dragging Nessa with him.

"Ouch," Nessa muttered when her knees hit the ground. "Goddamn goof..." she said under her breath while trying to hold herself, and him, up to their feet again so that they could reach the bedroom.

Lisa appeared in the hallway wearing pajama shorts and a long oversized shirt, staring at the two of them with a raised brow and amusement on her expression.

Still on the floor in all fours, with a hand over Dave's mouth in an attempt to mute his snorted chuckles, Nessa offered her an awkward smile.

"I'm not even gonna ask..." Lisa sighed and shook her head, turning to go into her bedroom again.

"Hey- Is that my Bad Brains shirt?!" Dave interjected a little too loudly after successfully pulling Nessa's hand out of his face. "I've been looking for it for-"

The sudden interruption led Lisa to look back at them. She widened her eyes and choked out a surprised laugh, quickly retreating to her room once she realized Nessa had found an efficient way to keep Dave silent.

She was holding his face tightly in between her hands and was kissing him eagerly. And Dave, in a ridiculously funny scene, was sitting there like a limp muppet abandoned on the floor, with comically wide eyes.

Nessa pulled back, flustered and out of breath, still holding his face in between her hands. "I promise you'll get more of these if you behave"

Dave nodded quietly in agreement, folding his lips into a tight line. The enthusiasm written on his face and the cheeky wiggle of his brows almost made her break into chuckles too.

Like a perfectly trained robot, Dave did as told. They walked, or stumbled, into the bedroom, and were able to avoid any run-ins with obstacles on the way, such as Dave's clumsy drunken feet.

After dropping him onto his bed, Nessa shut the door carefully and slowly, trying to keep the noise to an absolute minimum. She exhaled, feeling incredibly tired, and then turned, surprised to see Dave standing right behind her, looking as sober as ever.

"What are you doing?" she asked in a whisper.

Dave moved slowly towards her, not saying a word. Instead, when her back touched the door, he took one hand to her face and got closer.