XIV. Homecoming

The cheerful sound of an old jazz record floated through the home of Marie and Evelyn Masen.

It was Friday night, and the two women had decided to enjoy a nice, early dinner at home together since they did not get to spend very much one-on-one time with each other anymore. Marie had decided to try out a new recipe, and was currently working on making a homemade sauce while noodles bubbled cheerfully in boiling water on the stove.

Evelyn hummed along to the soft music emanating from the record player in the living room as she focused on chopping the handful of celery sticks her aunt had given her. The sun was just beginning to set, and the golden light streamed through the open window along with the cold breeze floating in from outside.

"I called Charlie to see if he could make it, but he said he's gonna be late coming home. They're out hunting for the wolves that you guys saw in the woods that day. He told me to save a bowl for him, though. You know how he loves my cooking," Marie said, stirring the saucepan in front of her idly. "I figured we could invite Bella, if you'd like. She probably gets lonely in that house by herself."

Evelyn shook her head, dumping the freshly chopped vegetables in a bowl next to her cutting board. "I did, but she said she couldn't make it. She must be busy, I guess."

She had thought that Bella's message was a little... odd, when she had asked her to come over earlier. Evelyn had texted Bella to invite her to dinner, and almost immediately her friend had texted back that she "had something she needed to do." Alarm bells had gone off in her head, but Bella had been doing better recently, so it was probably nothing.

"That's too bad," Marie sighed, but she had a small smile on her face when she looked at her niece. "But at least now we have the evening to catch up! I feel like it's been a while since we've really talked, you know?"

"I guess it has been a while," Evelyn agreed, returning the smile. "But honestly, there's not much that's new with me."

Marie turned to her, raising a skeptical eyebrow. "Hmm," she said, a sly smile on her face. "Whatever you say, Ev."

Evelyn frowned, setting her knife down and facing her aunt fully with her arms crossed over chest. "Okay, what is that look for?"

Marie shrugged, the mischievous glint in her eye shining. "Oh, nothing, nothing. Forget I said anything."

"Marie," Evelyn said, a laugh building in her throat. "If you have something to say, then I think you should say it."

The older woman sighed dramatically, stirring her pot as she glanced back at her niece. "Well, I was just wondering if you'd met anyone interesting lately." She narrowed her eyes in a very pointed look. "A boy, perhaps?"

"Oh, no," Evelyn groaned, rolling her eyes as an uncomfortable chuckle left her lips. "You saw the boy at the restaurant the other day, didn't you?"

"I may have peeked my head out once or twice," Marie conceded, giggling. "He seemed nice. I thought he was cute, actually. Does he go to school with you?"

Evelyn began chopping another celery stick, shaking her head. "No, he's in college in Seattle. I didn't talk to him for very long so I don't know that much about him."

"Did he ask for your number?" Marie pressed. "It seemed like he really liked you."

The girl sighed, shaking her head. "No, he actually gave me his. But I don't know, I don't think it would go anywhere." Evelyn paused, biting her lip. "I don't think I'm ready for that, yet."

"Well it must have felt nice, at least, to have someone be interested in you. I know it's been a long time since you've had that."

Evelyn nodded solemnly, remembering the way Riley Biers had smiled at her. If only the past year had not happened, then maybe she could have felt more like reciprocating the attention he gave her. Maybe she could put her heart on the line for someone again. But in truth, she was afraid... terrified, in fact. And she didn't know if that feeling would ever go away.