XIX. Planning Death

"Hey, Ev, it's me. Um, I guess I'm calling to tell you that my dad died. The doctors said he had a massive heart attack and... I don't know, I guess I just don't really know what to do right now. Can you meet me at my house? I'll see you in a bit."

***

"Hey, it's Leah. Ev, I really don't know what to do right now. Can you please call me? Or come over? I just really need someone to talk to who isn't my family. Please hurry."

***

"Evelyn, something crazy just happened to me and my brother and I feel like I'm losing my mind. Can you please pick up your goddamn phone and call me back? I'm so scared right now. Please just — just call me back."

***

"Hey. So thanks for telling me that you're here for me and all that before, but it looks like when I actually needed a friend you just bail. Anyway, not that you even care, but Seth and I phased. Sam and Jacob told me that you know about us. And now I know about you and the bloodsuckers that you love so much. I hope he was worth it. Next time, don't make promises to people that you can't keep."

Evelyn groaned, throwing her phone down on the bed beside her in frustration. She had been listening to the voicemails Leah had left her over and over, trying to think of some way that she could explain things and make it up to her. But Leah was having none of it; Evelyn had been sent straight to voicemail each and every time that she had tried to call her back.

If she wasn't grounded, she would already be in La Push right now trying to make it up to her, but Marie was only letting her leave the house for school and work for the forseeable future.

After Edward had dropped her off, Evelyn had expected Marie to be relieved first and then understandably upset that she had left. But what she did not expect was her anger.

Marie had shown no mercy the day that she had come home. Of course, she was frantic with relief when Evelyn had walked through the door. Her aunt had bombarded her with hugs and couldn't stop expressing her joy that her niece had finally come home. And then she got angry.

"What the hell were you thinking, Evelyn? Running off to Italy without even so much as a warning? And don't you dare say that you texted me because you know damn well that that's not enough."

Evelyn nodded, slightly surprised but also knowing she deserved every bit of Marie's anger. "I know, Marie. I'm so sorry I didn't call or wait to talk to you, but Edward was in trouble and he wasn't listening to anyone. I was just trying to help him." It wasn't a total lie, but she did her best to sound convincing enough for her aunt.

Marie scoffed, throwing her hands in the air as she stalked off towards the kitchen. Knowing the she was expected to follow, Evelyn trudged along behind her. "Oh, I heard all about it from Carlisle on the phone last night. 'Misunderstanding' my ass, what kind of a parent just allows their son to do that kind of thing? It's just irresponsible, Evelyn, and I'm so disappointed in you for getting wrapped up in it, too." Marie sighed, slumping into one of the kitchen chairs and rubbing her face tiredly. "You know better, Evelyn. You know better."

Evelyn's heart clenched seeing how much she had worried her aunt. She slid into the seat next to her, watching Marie carefully. "I'm so sorry," she said, and she truly meant it. "I just wanted to help my friend and I didn't think about how it affected everyone else."

"You're damn right you didn't think," Marie agreed, her eyes hard as she met the concerned gaze of her niece. "And it won't be happening again, not while you're under my roof. I never thought I'd ever have to do this, but you're grounded until further notice. You can leave the house for school and work and that's it until I decide that I'm not upset at you anymore."