XVI. Volterra

Evelyn had always hated plane rides. She hated the noise, the people, the endless waiting and the monotony of it all.

However, the fact that she was sitting mere inches from Jasper Hale put this at the top of her list of worst flights she had ever been on.

She kept her eyes focused straight ahead on the seat where she knew Bella was likely losing her mind thinking about Edward. Her fists were clenched in her lap and she was pointedly avoiding looking to her right, where an equally uncomfrotable vampire sat with his eyes fixed longingly on the side of her face. Evelyn was mentally cursing Alice for taking the seat next to Bella and forcing her to endure the longest flight of her life next to the last person that she would want to spend it with.

"Evelyn?" Jasper tried tentatvely, his voice soft as he implored her to look at him.

The girl sighed, closing her eyes. "What?"

"I understand that you don't want to talk to me, but perhaps you could just listen to me for a few moments," he suggested, fighting the urge to wince at the tone she was using with him. "There's a lot that I think we need to discuss... about us."

Evelyn frowned, shaking her head in bewilderment. "Us? Jasper, there is no us anymore. You made sure of that." She sighed, knowing that her words cut deep but not finding it in herself to care. "And I don't think that now is the best time, considering your brother is about to try and get himself killed all the way across the world."

"Well then when would be a good time?" Jasper argued. "Because in case you misunderstood me earlier, we are not guaranteed to make it out of Volterra alive, either." When he only saw the frown lines in her face grow deeper, he groaned in frustration. "Evelyn, all I'm want to do is try to help you understand why I did what I did."

At this, Evelyn opened her eyes only to narrow them at the blond beside her. "There is nothing left for me to understand. You made it crystal clear that you didn't want anything to do with me when you left. I'm done talking about this, Jasper. I moved on."

He knew she was lying because he could sense her feelings for him simmering beneath the surface of her frustration. Still, her words cut deep, though he knew he deserved it. He deserved every bit of anger and hatred she threw at him.

"Clearly," Jasper said, knowing that what he was about to say would only piss her off more but choosing to say it anyway. "Judging by the scene I walked into at your house earlier, you've moved on just fine." In part he was upset with her for not giving him a chance to speak openly, but he also was curious as to how deep her relationship with the other vampire went.

A strangled sound escaped from Evelyn's throat as she narrowed her eyes at him savagely. "You have no right," she hissed. "You have no idea what you're talking about! And you don't even know him, Jasper. I don't see how you can make a judgment so quick other than the fact that you are acting like a child. I don't have to talk about this with you. In fact, I don't even know why I'm telling you anything in the first place!" She gripped the arm rests beside her, knuckles turning white as she fought the urge to strangle him herself. Why did he make her so angry?

They sat in an uncomfortable silence for a few moments, Evelyn staring straight ahead with her fists clenched silently seething. Just being near him was making her so angry and flustered, and she didn't want to be distracted from the situation at hand by her unresolved feelings for the man beside her.

Jasper shifted, leaning down closer to her ear so that he could speak only to her. "You're right," he said softly, his cool breath tickling her skin. Still, she refused to meet his eyes. "I'm not being fair to you, and I'm sorry. I just... when I saw you with him, I didn't know what to do. I left, and you moved on with your life. I can't be upset with you for that."