~ 4 ~

a/n sorry for the wait if you're still reading <33 

~~~

I'm the problem. I'm the problem. I'm the problem.

The words pounded in Bokuto's head.

His chest tightened. His breathing became frantic. He wanted to scream and yell. He wanted to rip his bed to pieces or throw something out the window.

But all he did, all he could manage to do, was hold his knees to his chest, nails cutting into his shins, as he sobbed and sobbed.

~|~|~

Around a week had passed since his mother had said goodbye.

Bokuto had spent those days alone, and it was taking a toll on him.

With time, even Bokuto started acknowledging changes in his mental and physical health. His usual circuits throughout the whole hospital were leaving him more out of breath than usual, and he could've sworn that at his lowest moments in the deep confines of the night... he was starting to hear things.

But it wasn't only that, his mind was playing tricks on him he was sure of it. It was betraying him just like everyone else. Every young girl he saw had Yuki's voice, every crying person he passed in the hospital halls had bruises on their faces. And every corner he turned he took constant painful double-takes, thinking he had seen a glimpse of raven hair pass by.

~|~|~

The ceiling had long since become an acquaintance of Bokuto, a comfort of something that hadn't changed though all he had been through. Bokuto had even taken the great courtesy of debating the ceiling's life story.

Hey, ceiling... how many patients have you met?

How many friends have you made?

How many friends have you watched cry?

How many friends have you lost?

His neck grew tight as he stared longer at the ceiling, convinced that if he stared hard enough the ceiling might show him an answer.

Hey ceiling, are we friends? Do you not like watching me cry? Will you care if I die?

Hey ceiling, I'm lonely. Are you lonely too?

Tears were freely flowing from Bokuto's eyes, he couldn't help it. He needed someone to talk to, the loneliness was killing him, slowly choking him of his sanity.

His vision was hazy as he blindly reached for his phone, pulling up the first contact he saw.

From: Bokuto (Sent July 29th at 11:56 PM)

[Hey! I hope this isn't a bad time!]

Hey, ceiling... there's no answer.

Do you think I've been forgotten?