Lost Control

The first two chapters are written a little roughly, but they're the two set up chapters that start off this 15 promt October whump.  Enjoy!

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇

"Varian, we're not leaving forever.  Just for a month to meet with the King of Bayangor," Rapunzel said. 

"I know, but you're leaving me to deal with..."  Varian nodded and glanced towards the other room.  The princess understood what he met.

"I'm sure it'll be ok.  My dad will ignore you as always."

"It's not just him.  There's Nigel-"

"Nigel is only a worry wart.  He doesn't trust you yet, just give him some more time.  He'll see you in a better light, I'm sure," she encouraged.

"Like how St. Croix would?"  Varian crossed his arms.

"Ok, I was completely wrong with judging his character, but I didn't know him.  I know Nigel.  He's not as bad as you think..."

Varian raised a brow, giving her an unconvinced look.

She sighed.  "Look, me and Eugene have to go.  Your dad doesn't want you to come to this meeting, and you weren't invited.   I'm sorry... but I promise I'll bring you back something from the Bayangor marketplace to give you for your alchemy."

"Fine..."  the seventeen year old huffed.

"If it's any better, you can always take the day off when you need to," she added.

"Thanks, but it won't be necessary.  I guess I'll just man up."

She gave him a firm hug as Eugene walked in.  "Alright, Sunshine!  Time to hit the road!"

"Coming."  She gave Varian a hard squeeze before grabbing her blue bag Cassandra gave her a few years prior.

"See ya," Varian said.

"You too, Goggles."  Eugene ruffled the teen's hair.

"Gah!  Eugene!"

The man laughed and jumped away when the younger one swiped at him.  He then reunited with his wife and they said their goodbyes again.  With that, they left, leaving Varian alone.

He rubbed his arms and sighed. "Well, I suppose I'll have to manage...  you've been through way worst.  What's the worst that could happen?"

Perhaps that hadn't been the best thing for him to say.   For later that week, as he walked through the halls to his lab, he froze by the Eugene's office.   Fredric and Nigel were in there discussing treaties, when a guard burst in.  Varian couldn't help but eavesdrop on the conversation.

"Sir!"  He cried.

"What is it?"  Fredric inquired.

"The east wall, it has been penetrated.  We've lost control."

"What!  But that's... that's impossible!"  Nigel stuttered.

"By who?"

"We believe it's the Saporians, sir," the solider replied.

With those words, Varian's heart stopped.