[19]The bro code

I've driven Timothy around before. To his football games, play dates (although he'd never publicly admit to them being play dates) and on Saturday I have to take him to a birthday party. I'm his unpaid chauffeur. But I've never driven him at night before without my parents permission.

It's a risky game I'm playing. One that keeps me looking over at the rear view mirror to see if he's still safe in the backseat. My hands are wrapped around the steering wheel so tightly it's slick with my sweat.

But I refuse to leave him home alone when he could be safer with me.

My GPS leads me to the street of an affluent neighbourhood. Another party with bouncy music, intoxicated teenagers and bad decision making hanging in the air like smoke. As well as actual smoke in the air. The only thing different about this party is that it's not an Irvine High event. Not that anyone one who goes to my school is in a turn-up kind of mood today. Not at all. This is a North-side party. I'll be walking into all enemy territory.

I drive off the road and slide into an empty parking spot that's far way enough from the party. The last thing I need is a drunk driver giving me a fender bender on their way out.

Before I go, I lay down the law with my brother, "Do not leave this car under any circumstances. Don't start the car or open the door for anyone who isn't me either."

"Mmmh," Is the only thing he says.

"Listen to me," I say handing him Micah's phone. "If anything happens call 911, okay. You can only call mom and dad if it's life or death."

He takes the phone from me, "This is a rich kid neighbourhood, Hazel. What do you think is gonna happen?"

He has a point there. This is the last place you'd expect something illegal to happen. Maybe he'll get lucky and witness a white-collar crime in progress, tax evasion or money laundering. Whatever it is rich people do for fun.

"Fine. I'll be gone for fifteen minutes. Max." With that, I close the car door and leave him with the keys.

North-side students are even more intimidating without their preppy uniforms. The few people I see wandering around the block are all in dressy fresh-off-the-rack casual. There are more cocktail dresses here than at last year's Winter formal. In my hoodie and tights minus my phone I feel more than a little under-dressed.

I start making my way up the wide driveway but stop in my tracks like an actress whose forgotten her lines when I see them.

"What the hell are you guys doing here?" I spit out.

*****

As it turns out Samuel, our substitute power forward and Darnell are on a rescue mission of their own. After a few moments of confusion, we clear things up. They had seen the panther posts on a tweet in the same way I did and figured it was Micah under the suit. He was the only person on the team who wore size eleven Vans.

To put it concisely I wasted an entire trip down here to get our mascot back. His buddies were already on it. I'd dragged my kid brother to a stupid party for nothing . I'm half-tempted to go back the same way I came.

It seems every time I set out to do a good deed, I'm sidestepped. Usually by Darnell Washington. It doesn't exactly do much to endear me to him.

"We were supposed to play Halo at his house." Sam explains pointing a thumb at Darnell. "But the dude didn't show. Then we find out he was playing some kind of Fifty Shades of Gray type shit with North-side."

He shakes his head sadly. As though this is something that happens regularly with Micah.

I notice one other thing, apart from the fact that both of them are dressed head to toe in black sweatshirts and jeans. Like the lead characters in a low-budget heist movie. If they slap on a pair of ski masks, they'd be just about ready to case the joint. They're so well coordinated it looks like they spent time picking out matching outfits.