prompt 2・✦

prompt: Write a narrative with the title, 'The Moon'.

The cold night breeze brushed through Mira's hair as she stood on the ledge, her face flushed from all the drinks. Her intoxicated mind, swirling in a non-stop eddy, was unclear and unsure about her surroundings. Gazing upon the sky, she was struck by the darkness of the night. It had grown darker than smeared charcoal, with small splashes of gold glittering here and there as if an artist had brazenly attempted to light it, then, as if led by impulse, surrounded the canvas with smoky grey clouds that were deteriorating under the fluorescent silver beams of the moon as if they were shadows sent away,to be banished.

It stole her breath.

Mira had stepped out to breathe in some fresh air. It had become a little too suffocating inside. Everyone was talking about Jim as if they had known him. Did they know that he had been rejected by the top school of arts? Were they aware that he had spent his life waiting for an opening there, just to be turned down because he could not afford the full fees? Even mum didn't have a clue about his great ambition; how could she? She was too busy trying to cope with the bills and payments after dad had suddenly left her in the lurch.

Yet, this was his favourite spot; he'd always retreat to this edge and sit in silence, 'listening to the moon', he'd constantly say. Mira looked up at the moon. She seemed to have a desolate look today. Did she know? Did she put him up to this? Closing her eyes, Mira edged closer to the rim of the ledge. Her heart beat heavily against her tightened chest, and she heard something crack. Opening her eyes, she felt herself being pulled back, away from the edge where it all happened. In that instance, Mira recognised the sense of hopelessness that Jim had experienced; strong enough to take his own life.

'What are you doing?' came the harsh voice, as her fingers dug into Mira's arms. Shaking her head, to straighten her thoughts, Mira gathered herself and freed her already reddened arm. She gently massaged her arm, all that while averting Shelley's eyes.

'You were thinking of doing it, weren't you? Weren't you?' And she pulled Mira into her bear hug, keeping her close to her heart, while warm tears fell on Mira's hair.

They had not spoken since that fateful day. Mira knew that Shelley was breaking the news to Jim; news that would have broken him too. Puzzled, she lifted her face to look up at Shelley. But without even asking her, she saw it in her dark eyes ... she had told Jim about her scholarship offer. That surely would have broken his heart - Shelley leaving to fulfill her dreams, and him remaining behind, left with strands of wishful thinking.

'I did not know he had received that letter of rejection, Mira. I swear. I would never have told him otherwise.' Her voice broke the silence, like a broken shard of glass cutting a tight string.

Mira shook her head, gripping Shelley's shoulders tightly. 'I told you ... I told you ...' her voice was tense and rough. She had been crying all day long, wondering what drove him to throw himself off the rooftop. After all, she was already on her way to talk to him. But they knew that he was unwell. He'd been suffering from depression for a while now, and he refused to seek help. Mira turned her face towards the moon again, this time accusingly. She should have told her mum about his 'conversations' at the rooftop, gaining insight from the 'moon's wisdom', he used to playfully joke. But Mira was aware of how disturbed he was, and she kept quiet about it, hoping that he would move past that 'phase'.

Just then, she made a sudden twist on her heel, and lost her balance. As her head lowered backwards, she caught a glimpse of the sneering moon; teasing and jeering at her. With great effort, Mira doubled back towards Shelley, as Shelley lunged to grasp Mira's flailing hands. Within seconds, the two girls were hugging each other again, both bursting into spasms of brokenness, shamelessly crying under the guilty moon.      

(712 words)

note: inspired by tiny pretty things :))