Chapter ten - To change a king

Out of breath and more reinforcements coming with muskets. Things were going down hill very fast. They were tired, they weren't as young as they once was, not like they cared but still it did go against them even if it was a little. Phillippe still had one hand on my waist and the other holding this blade, I still head onto his shirt from pulling him away.

"D'Artangnan" Louis called "I am not angry with you. I knew you would lead me to them and so you have. Lay down your sword and I will not punish you. I will let you retire in peace. And I will give your friends a swift execution. If you surrender now!" he declared

"Maybe you should take his offer." Aramis suggested "We're dead anyway."

"He's right d'artangnan." Porthos agreed

"Wait." Phillippe caught our attention "Bargain me to Louis for all your lives.You've done your best, please let me go."

"He wouldn't agree and even if he did he would go back on his word." I spoke softly

"No" we looked back to D'artangnan "I cannot do it. Even if I could give up my King. I could not give up....my son" Oh my lord. Philipe stepped away from me and closer to him.

"Your son?" Phillippe questions

"I loved your mother, I love her still. You are my son." D'artangan stepped closer to him. "I never knew you existed. And I never felt pride as a father until this moment." the moment was ruined by men trying to knock down the door behind us. Aramis looked around the corner and stepped back

"D'artangnan. They're young musketeers. They've been weened on our legends. They revere us. It is an advantage." Aramis insisted

"Yes. why don't we charge them?" Porthos suggested

"I trained these men. They will fight to the death. But if we must died. If we must die, let it be like this." D'artangan put his sword down. Aramis and Porthos followed then Papa.

"One for all, all for one." Papa says. Philipe and I put our blades in and I look at Papa, giving him a small smile. We pull out into a straight line and take a deep breath before we charge. They begin to fire and I grunt slightly being hit by one of the shots. The noise stops and there is a cloud of smoke that we stumble through to the surprise of the musketeers, still holding out sword." One salutes and they all do. Louis steps forward and looks back before trying to attack Phillippe.

D'artangan grabs him by the arm and shoves him into the wall. But he bounces back with a yell and a dagger he almost stabs Philippe but D'Artangan steps in between sons taken the dagger. He falls to the ground and Phillipe pushes his brother back and down. As I kneel towards the fallen Captain.

"Philipe! Phillippe!" I yell he looks over

"He is your brother." d'artangnan wheezes. Phillippe lets him go

"Brother?" the second in command whispers "Outside, all of you! You are sworn to silence" the men leave as Phillipe comes over.

"Get this off me! Get this off me!" Philipe yells and I get up going over to Louis. I see the chain hanging from his neck and the key attached. I pull it off and free Phillipe of the mask. Papa mutters something but I can't hear it. Phillipe pulls it off after I unlock and remove

"All my life... this this is the death I've always wanted. All for one and one..." he stops breathing.

"You were the one in the mask." Philippe says closing his fathers eyes. He cries over him. I stood up and look back to Louis.

"Philipe, Phillipe look at me." he looks up "You have a choice, now. There are soldiers that are close to breaking down that door, you either put the mask back on and go back into isolation or we complete the switch." he looks back at his brother then back at me

"Undress him." we nod

"No! No!" Louis yells and i look back at the musketeer who stayed

"You'll play along, yes?" he nodded "Help them." he did as I said and I knelt down to Phillippe

"You will be a great King." I whisper to him "Remember for now you are him and in time you are you."

"I will." They changed clothes Aramis and Papa hold Louis hold him up

"Wait." I say before they put the mask on. I walk up to him

"You know, he has a lot of things you don't. Including..." I turn to Phillippe i reach up to kiss him, he returns it pulling me closer. I hear a laugh and pull away still looking at the shocked Phillippe. "That." I whisper to him. The door is broken open and i turned Phillippe around and pushed him forward. Louis is quickly imprisoned in the mask. and Papa and the Musketeer haul him forward as we follow.

"We have recaptured the prisoner."

"No, No I am the Ki..." Papa punches him in the stomach shutting Louis up.

"You'll put this madman where no one can hear his insanity. Let him be fed by a deaf mute but let him be fed well." Phillippe orders "And let him find redemption wearing the pains he has caused others. Take him" Louis is taken away protesting to his true identity

"And the others?" Phillippe looked back to us 

"They are my royal council and truest friends." The soldiers left and they knelt and I curtsied to Phillippe.

-----------------

Papa, Aramis, Porthos, Queen Anne and and Phillippe now as King Louis and I stood at D'Artangan's graveside. Aramis performed the service.

"He was the best of us all." Papa stated he, Aramis and Parthos left as I stood beside Queen Anne. Phillippe followed calling after Papa.

"Musketeers salute!" they did and Phillipe came back over

"Belle, may I have a moment." I nodded as he held out his hand for me to take which I did and we moved away from his mother "It is my hope that when the mourning period is over, you will let me officially court you in a prospect to be the future Queen."

"But...But you can't you must marry for the country, they..."

"I have been well advised that this would be most advantageous, as it will unite me with my country. The future will hold security with others but I must do this for me and marry who is in my heart which is you. Belle. I wish of you to rule by my side and help me heal the damage that has been done." I stood there in awe as his words affected me so. To think that I would fall for the King a while ago would have seemed impossible.