Chapter 17

I blink sleepily at my phone screen, cringing at the sight of the three letters staring back at me over and over as I scroll through the log of missed calls and messages.

M-O-M. Mom. Dammit... I promised I'd phone her and dad when I arrived safely in London, and I totally forgot. And now she's probably freaking out.

My head is aching and my mouth feels dry - the inevitable hangover, karma for last night's shenanigans. And I'm still so sleepy. I'm tempted to just roll over and deal with mom later, but I know that's just delaying the inevitable. Before I can talk myself out of it, I hit the call button, steeling myself against the imminent torrent of scolding and hysterics about to come my way.

But when she picks up the phone several seconds later, she sounds groggy and confused.

"Ash?" She asks, her voice thick with sleep.

"Hi mom," I say. "Sorry I didn't call before. I honestly just... forgot, with everything that's been going on. It's been crazy busy over here."

"Hmm..." my mom mumbles something incoherent, then yawns. "You know it's 3am here, sweetie?"

What?!

Through my haze of half-asleep drowsiness, it takes me a second to remember that I'm in London now, and she's in Portland - cities with an eight hour time difference.

Which means....

I quickly check the time on my phone.

11am. Almost lunch time. Damn. Well, at least it's a Saturday.

"Sorry," I murmur, stretching under the duvet cover as I yawn. "Should I call back later?"

"No need sweetie, I just wanted to check in," mom says. "Are you settling in ok? Nessy's been keeping us updated, but I wanted to make sure..."

"Yeah, everything's fine mom," I say, relieved I'm not in trouble for forgetting to phone them like I promised I would.

Not that getting in trouble with the parentals would really matter much right now, anyway. What are they going to do? Ground me from halfway across the world?

"You go back to sleep mom," I say. "I'll call later today or tomorrow, I swear I won't forget this time. And give dad a hug from me."

"Dad sends his love," mom says, stifling another yawn. "Actually, that reminds me... Bea came by the house earlier today. Or yesterday... whatever. She also sends her love, Ash. You wouldn't believe how different she's looking... you know how she went cuckoo and lost all that weight after Gran died?"

"Yeah..." I answer, already suspecting where this is going.

"Well, she's literally transformed," Mom says. "I don't know how she did it so quickly, but she's looking healthy again, and she seems to be back to her old self. Honestly, we lost her for a while back there, but now it's like she's back from the dead or something. She came over to ask how you're doing, and she told me to tell you 'good luck.' Amazing, right?"

Just like in my dream last night. Bea said that the spirit of the sea witch from the myth had finally released her. She seemed healthy and sane again in my dream. And she also said that the spirit would try to find someone else to possess - someone close to me, a descendant of the sea witch's bloodline. It could be anyone...

"I'm going back to sleep now," mom mumbles. "Call later if you have time, but it's ok if you can't. I know you're busy."

"Thanks mom," I murmur. "Love you."

"Love you too, sweetie," she says.

I'm about to hang up when I hear her voice again.

"Oh, and Ash?" she says.