Chapter 19

Almost three hours later I'm standing before a full-length mirror in Kitty's magnificent walk-in wardrobe, admiring the stunning forest green dress she convinced me to try on. It's the fifth dress I've tried on so far, and the first one that actually fits properly - Kitty's almost half a foot taller and has a bigger cup size than me, so most of her dresses are too loose or too long on my slightly smaller frame.

This dress however fits me like a glove. The bodycon mini hugs me in all the right places, and the flattering ruched sweetheart neckline miraculously gives me cleavage and makes it look like I have a C cup, instead of my paltry B. Best of all, the soft velvety fabric is the colour of pine needles or dark dew-drenched moss. It brings back happy memories of days spent deep in the heart of Forest Park with Kitty and the boys.

"You like it?" Kitty asks, casting her eyes over me in admiration as I nod my approval. "It's Chanel. Let me get you some Jimmy Choos to go with that. Oooh, and the Kelly green Birkin, I'm thinking crocodile..."

She gets to rummaging around in her massive collection. Unsurprisingly, there is a lot of Chanel, Bulgari and Hermès inside Kitty's wardrobe, and her accessories closet alone is probably worth more than the annual GDP of a small country. She says it's a work in progress, although there's barely any space left on the impressive display shelves, brightly lit with an impressive array of rare shoes and handbags.

"Perfect!" Kitty exclaims, placing a pair of sparkly stiletto high heels in front of me. "I bought these last year at a Sotheby's auction even though they're two sizes too small for me, so they should fit you. They're Christian Dior 1959. I just had to have them, even if I knew I'd never wear the damn things. They'll look amazing with that dress. Try them on."

"Can't I just wear my sneakers?" I ask, warily eyeing the spindly chopstick-thin excuse for a heel on each stiletto.

Kitty's look of absolute horror and dismay is all it takes for me to get the message. Sighing, I slip the sparkly heels on, surprised to find them fairly comfortable and easy to walk in.

Kitty hands me a dark green clutch handbag, and smiles mischievously.

"Just wait until Felix sees you..." she says, grinning from ear-to-ear. "There's nothing I enjoy more than torturing my baby brother. I might touch up your eyeliner before we go upstairs..."

"No more makeup!" I interject before she gets too carried away. We spent over an hour in front of her vanity earlier while she did my hair and makeup with the ease of a seasoned professional.

Overall, I like the look - dark smokey eyes and a dusty rose matte lip, with my long pale blonde hair swept up in an elegant french braid bun. I feel mature and sexy - something I could get used to.

Kitty's look is equally stunning but quite different. Her elegant black bob of hair is adorned with a thin, simple golden headband, and her eyeshadow is a brilliant metallic gold to match the glamorous golden-sequined mini dress she's wearing.

"Ready?" Kitty asks.

"Ready," I answer.

Kitty smiles, clasping her hands together enthusiastically.

"Let's go upstairs."

*****

Alastaire is already waiting for us as we walk through the massive oak-wood front doors of the boys' loft apartment on the top level of Witchwood Manor.

He's dressed casually in a knitted cream mohair sweater, beige slacks (possibly pyjama pants, from the looks of them) and house slippers, his tousled golden-blonde hair swept back from his face.