Chapter 10

Happy birthday, Felix.

My own words echo in my ears, and for a moment I wonder if I really spoke them out aloud.

Behind Felix, the other Fable boys come into view.

In that split second, I can see Alastaire and Ben are wearing expressions of complete and utter disbelief, and Lyall's lips are pursed in a surprised "Oh", his gentle brown eyes wide with surprise. Elliot, unruffled as always, looks only slightly surprised, but his brow is creased in concern.

I stare at the boys.

The boys stare back at me.

For a second, no one makes a sound. We're all frozen in utter astonishment until Ben runs forward and pulls me into a hug. 

"WHAAAAAT? BEST BIRTHDAY SURPRISE EVER!" He howls with delight, holding me at arm's length to get a better look, and nodding approvingly as if confirming that it's really me. "Lemme guess, this was Kitty's idea, right? She said she had an awesome birthday gift for Fee this year but I didn't think that-"

"-you'd come all this way just to wish him happy birthday?" Alastaire says, stepping forward. His voice is uncharacteristically soft and small, just above a whisper. The expression of shock he wore only moments ago has given way to something more like pained confusion, hurt and bewilderment. He looks crushed. "I tried for weeks to contact you, Ash. And now you're here. For Felix?"

He called me Ash. Not Cupcake. This is serious.

Before I can explain though, Felix has stepped forward, scooping me out of Ben's arms and into his own. He holds me tight, burying his face in my hair momentarily, seemingly oblivious to the fact that we have an audience.

"Ash," he whispers into my ear, low enough that only I can hear him. "You shouldn't have come. But I'm glad you did."

I sneak a quick glance at Alastaire, who looks like a kid whose ice cream just got stolen by a nasty stranger, who is now eating it slowly in front of him, making him watch.

Jeremy meanwhile seems to be enjoying the show - he is watching intently, and seems almost amused.

"Ahem..." Lyall clears his throat, sounding somewhat sheepish as he steps up besides Felix. "I can't believe me own eyes. Ash, you're really here. I'm not dreamin', am I?"

Felix releases his hold on me, and as he steps back to let Lyall in, I can see that his beautiful hazel eyes have something in them I've never seen before.

Tears. Felix is holding back tears.

The others don't seem to notice though, and I laugh as Lyall twirls me around, a beaming grin plastered across his face. Elliot is last; we share a quick embrace before Jeremy interrupts the unexpected reunion.

"Alight, alright," he says smoothly, rising up from behind his desk. "There'll be plenty of time for getting reacquainted later. Right now, we've got a new artist on-boarding to do. That means I've got dibs on this young lady's attention for at least the next hour. You boys run along. Take your complaints about the Harry Gibbons Show to the booking team. Oh, and Miranda-" he turns to address the secretary, who is standing in the corner looking like she's having some sort of mild panic attack - "you can go back to your desk now." Miranda makes a beeline for the door, and I'm guessing she just wants to escape this incredibly awkward situation.

I wish I could too.

"Screw Harry Gibbons," Felix says hotly. "What do you mean by new artist on-boarding?" Then he turns to me, and speaks in a softer voice. "Ash, what's going on? Why are you really here?"