Chapter One

Some people are born evil.

Some things they do, you just can't explain it. How can you? How, when the only way the explanation could possibly make sense is that this person isn't human? They can't be. The only thing that makes them human, is the genetic code within their DNA that says labels them as such. But every other aspect leads away from that.

I once scoffed at the idea of beauty being a disguise. When I was younger, my friends dragged me to the movies with them, forcing me to watch the hot new vampire movie called "Twilight." I can still feel the eye roll I had when Edward was explaining his predatory exterior.

"Everything about me invites you in. My voice. My face. Even my smell."

I used to mock those words. But I never knew how foolish I would be to not heed them when I found it in my real life. When I was drawn to it.

Because, well the devil does indeed wear a beautiful mask. 

*****

ConGRADulations!

I snicker at the clever play on words. Of course, my dad would find the cheesiest way to celebrate my graduating college. It only took me three and a half years, but I did it. I graduated with a 4.0 GPA and my bachelor's in Pre-Med. And with the grades I earned, and the internship I held at my father's hospital, I've been accepted to Stanford's medical program in the fall. My father, the surgeon couldn't be prouder.

"Jesus James calm down." My mother walks by him putting her earring in as she looks at him in disdain.

Claire Holter.

The epitome of a spoiled wife. My father and her met while he was finishing up medical school. They got married and built a life together. When the time came for them to make a family, however, she couldn't.

And that's where I came in.

I'm adopted. I was raised in a home, and when I turned three, Doctor James Holter and his wife decided to save me from a life of ruin and poverty and adopt me into the lavish life of riches and love.

"I can't help it. My baby is following in my footsteps! Just one more step closer to your dreams huh?" he says as he comes up to me pulling me in a warm embrace.

I smile hugging him back. My father has always been nothing short of supportive.

It's funny, the whole adoption plan was my mother's idea, but my Dad really jumped on board from the day they brought me home until now.

"That's right Daddy," I smile.

My mother walks away, grumbling something under her breath about being tacky, but I don't care. Nothing she says can ruin my mood tonight. My Dad watches her leave the room before he turns back to the sign. I see his face fall in disappointment.

"The sign was of course my idea. Your mother, however, did not want that up. She says it's too tacky," he laughs.

But I hear the hurt in his voice. My parents are one of the wealthiest people in the state, and if you watched my mother you would definitely see that. But my Dad? He acts so down to Earth and kind, you would never think he lived in a million-dollar home. He turns back to me with a teary-eyed smile.

"I just want you to know how proud I am of you. I know none of this was easy but you made it through with flying colors. I am so proud, Sagel. So proud." I smile back, giving him a hug.

"Thanks, Dad." 

* * * * *

"Welcome, Mr. Holter."