Chapter Two

Sagel

"And if he tries anything, then you just BOOM whip it out and spray him in the eyes!"

My father emphasizes with a thrust of his fork across the table, and I can feel my stomach cramping from the laughter escaping me. My mother is shaking her head in disapproval at the volume of his voice, but I don't care. These are the kinds of talks I will miss when I'm three-thousand miles from home.

The night progresses perfectly. My parents are both on their best behavior and even my mother smiles and jokes around a bit. It makes me happy that they actually are getting along for once. When it's time to leave, my father pays the bill and we all head to the front of the restaurant to wait for the valet. I find myself searching for the man that I ran into on the way to the bathroom. He was very handsome. Celebrity-level handsome.

He had black, curly hair that was pushed out of his face allowing me to see every contour of his jaw. He also had the most vivid set of green eyes I had ever seen. The outer ring of his eyes was dark green, and they slightly shifted to a lighter green the closer to the center you got. But once you reached the center, a warm forest green spread out like an uncontrollable trail of water. And his voice. It was a deep, comforting tone with an accent. I can't pinpoint where I've heard that accent before though. He was obviously out of my league, yet he seemed intensely interested in me.

Obviously, he wanted to get laid, and that is definitely the farthest thing from my mind at the moment.

I frown in disappointment when I don't see him at all. Just a bunch of families and couples, enjoying their evening. We step out into the cold night air and the host brings each of us our jackets as the valet runs away to get the car. He pulls the car around, and we all get in to head home.

We're driving for about twenty minutes when the car suddenly cuts off.

"What the hell?" I hear my dad grumbling in the front seat. My mom looks over.

"Did you forget to get gas?" she says, irritation evident in her voice.

They immediately launch into an argument as we pull over on the side of the road. It's not close to the highway either it's a back road. My dad looks at us with a comforting smile.

"I'll go check the engine," he says before addressing my mother.

"Call the towing company." He then gets out of the car. I look around in paranoia. We're in the middle of nowhere at night. It's a little unnerving honestly. My dad lifts the hood of the car up and I see the smoke flying everywhere.

Great.

The car suddenly illuminates, and I look in the rear-view mirror to see a car coming towards us. My mother is on the phone rambling off how she isn't sure where we are, not paying attention to the coming car. I turn in my seat staring hard as the car gets closer, I can feel my heart beating faster as the lights grow in their distance and I don't know why. I can't fight this nagging at the back of my mind that something is off. The car keeps driving, not even bothering to slow down. I let out a deep sigh, sitting back in my seat.

"Sagel, do you know what road this is?" My mother asks looking at me. I shake my head.

"I just know we're about 15 minutes from the interstate," I say.

She goes back to the phone call, griping about how he should be able to track us via GPS. I roll my eyes pulling out my phone to check the location, but to my dismay, I have no service.

I let out a sigh of irritation. This is like some kind of scary movie bullshit. Unlatching my seatbelt, I move to get out of the car.

"Sagel where are you going?" my mom asks.