Rebirth: Rising Dawn [Prologue]

Once upon a time there was a girl. To her family, she was the apple of their eyes, to others she was a fairy.

One day, at a ball, the young fairy fell in love. Hiding behind the tall structure of her father she looked at the boy who did not need to hide. Instead he stood with his head held high. Regal but deep inside those crystal blue eyes, sadness lingered.

The young fairy at that time, at the tender age of four, promised that one day she'll stand by his side and help him overcome any and all his pain and sadness.

So she worked, she studied, she practiced. Gifted in both the magic and sword, she was envied. When school started, the young angel befriended the prince. She helped rid his eyes of the sadness and instead replaced them with a brightness akin to the sun.

Soon they were best friends and each and every secret was shared between them, when they grew older they became closer and finally the king and the fairy's father granted them an engagement. 

For the fairy it was a wish come true. Ecstatic, she continued to work and train and study. She was happy and content. Until one day.

Her prince was smiling and talking with another girl. She was called an angel. Beautiful, gentle, and humble. At first the fairy didn't mind, in fact she was happy that her prince had made a new friend and was more than happy to become friends with the angel herself.

Unfortunately that happiness did not last long. The prince became more and more distant. The world was cruel and as if to mock her of her love, the fairy came home one day to hear the words of her beloved fiancé.

"Please break the engagement." The fairy was stunned. Looking at her father and her prince she felt devastated. The father couldn't argue, couldn't refute, after all, the prince is part of the royal family.

So he did. He broke the engagement. When the prince left, he only shot the fairy a cold look. The fairy ran after him, begging and pleading but to no use. The prince has left. It was her 20th birthday.

Running into her room, the fairy cried and cried and cried. She cried all her happiness out, she cried all of her sadness out, but she could not cry all her love out. So the love turned into hate. The fairy turned into a witch.

She started to bully the angel and people started to hate her. For years, the witch continued to torment the angel almost killing her several times but the prince would always come and save her.

The witch was hated and when the king died, the prince was crowned.

The prince, no king, immediately seized the witch, putting her in jail and killed her family.

For years, the witch was tortured and humiliated. For years, the witch could remember her screaming parents as they were slowly tortured to death in front of her. The witch slowly lost everything. Her emotions, her family, her previous status, and her life. She was nothing but a hollow shell. The envied fairy was no longer remembered.

The world celebrated when the witch was roughly dragged out into the setting sun. Feeling it for the first time in years.

The witch was then chained to a stake so tall it must've reached the sky. The common people threw stones as she was tied up. Soon the world was set on fire. A hungry flame licked its way up the stake slowly, not yet burning the witch but the cheers and cries continued and grew.

The witch closed her eyes as an emotion finally was felt. Regret. She regretted that she let her love overtake everything. She regretted that she couldn't let herself go. Most of all she regretted not being able to do what she had wanted when she had yet to meet him. But she was so tired now, so ridiculously tired.

Opening her eyes again she met the gaze of the king. He was no longer the boy who she had loved with all her heart. He was no longer the boy with sadness deep in his eyes. He has grown. The angel sat next to him. Queen. She has grown too, into a beautiful woman who could lead. Her eyes were determined but like how the prince used to have the sadness hidden deep within the depth of his eyes, in the eyes of the queen there was guilt. The witch smiled. Not one that was full of viciousness. But one full of regret... and relief. 

The cold glare against the tired eyes was more than enough to tell the king that she was done, that she is tired. The flames rose and it started to lick her feet. The witch did not scream nor yell even as the entire flame engulfed her body.

The witch, no Arpina, finally closed her eyes and fell asleep. The sun set and the crowd cheered. 

When the sun rose, her eyes opened once again. Dawn

Actually I wrote this quite awhile ago, but never published it since i wanted to finish writing the entire thing first. So consider this a little sneak peak?