Chapter 10

Badriyyah

Nothing is fun about reading I sighted. Unless it's actually something that is not at all related to academics but who am I kidding I need to read to pass. Exam is starting in two weeks time and I've sat for so much tests that I've lost count, fixed lectures, pending practicals and assignments. School is exhausting to say the least.

I'm sitting all by myself waiting for Fa'iza to show up. We decided to meet up at school, read for exams and catch up. I hate reading in the school library so what we do is find some place with little to no people at all and spread a small carpet not forgetting the munchies of course. Mostly it's just me and Fa'iza but some of the time some of my coursemates do join too if we're having a group discussion that is.

Fa'iz dropped Fa'iza and stayed for a while before leaving to newsite where he's studying law.

"Okay so before we start, hit me with the Bassam thing. Babe I don't even know why you're so secretive about this. It's me, you can tell me anything. So spill the tea." Fa'iza said.

"If only it were that easy Fa'iza. I don't like talking about it because talking about it only confirms it."

"Not talking about it doesn't mean it's going to go away though."

"Yes I know, but atleast I don't get to think or talk about it. I'm doing this but I don't want a constant reminder of my life choices.

"Well if it's such a bad thing, you can decide not to go along with it you know. You were given a choice to back out if you want. So no one is forcing you and i'm sure Abba will be sad it didn't go well not angry. I'd tell him if I were you."

"Yeah, but you're you and I'm me. There's nothing and I mean nothing my dad and stepmom haven't done for me. The only thing they made sure I missed was a birth mother but not a mother figure in my life. They filled that void and more. So if this is what they want, so be it. I trust them enough to make me want to carry on with this."

"So you're willing to settle for a loveless marriage is what you're saying."

"We might grow to love each other you know."

"No, don't mistake being nice to each other or tolerating each other that. We can tolerate or be nice to people but that doesn't mean we're willing to settle down with them."

"Tolerance is okay too and we're okay now, so I'm not complaining." I countered.

"Badriyyah..."

"What Fa'iza? When has love ever been enough to make relationships work? Relationships require that and alot more. Trust, sacrifice, compromise are what will make relationship last not just love. Some relationships lasted for 5 years, 7, 10, more than that even and ended just weeks after marriage, months and some few years. Why'd you think that keeps happening? And others courted for few months and boom they're years into marriage and still counting and also going stronger by the day. So I've never wanted just love. It's never enough."

"Wow, I don't know what to say to that. You know just because your mum had an arranged marriage doesn't mean that you must have one also. Don't do that to yourself, you're not thesame person. Is that why you're against dating and relationships?"

"Of course not, and you should know that by now. I've never been against it, and if you're talking about me not dating is because I never found someone I'm compatible with. And all the people I rejected, I never saw a future with them. So I chose not to waste my time and refused to set myself up for heartbreak."

"But Bassam is?"

"What? I don't know but I hope he is."

"Yeah assuming it happens and then his ex comes back, I don't think he's choosing you over her. Come to think of it."