ρяσℓσgυє

Stacey and the boys were nowhere to be found. I've been searching for them for like 15 minutes. Uncle Ben's mansion is so huge that it will take a whole hour just to tour around it. What was Paulie thinking? I'll remember next time to stick to the yard and never listen to him again. Gosh! I hated when It was my turn to seek. Stacey was always harder to find because of her flexibility. She was taking her training too seriously for an 8-year-old. But age didn't stop Aunt Mi to suggest that she take combat lessons from Giovanni early to become a strong woman in the future and Uncle Ben agreed immediately. Even I and the boys only began training when we turned 10. The little cheeky cat hid as her life depended on it.

I was passing by the office from where Uncle Ben, Uncle Fred, Santino and my dad were having a meeting. It was while these meetings and talks that we got to spend time with Stacey and it was my favourite thing about coming to California. The door creaked open and I turned back to see my dad appearing out of the room with a ringing phone in his hand. "Hey buddy wrap up the game soon okay we have to leave in 30 minutes," he said before attending the call and walking down the hall towards the staircase to talk over the phone. I've heard my father talking about the family feud going on between us and the Corleones. That must be why the Carpet was held. Salvatore, my buddy from middle school is a Corleone. I hope they don't plan on attacking them or anything because Sal would totally hit the shit outta me if something happens to his father or uncles because of my father or his friends in the business. I wanted to make sure they weren't talking about the Corleones so I did the most stupid thing a kid can do in serious situations like this. I peeked in from the already creaked open office door to listen to what they were saying. The game can wait. This is more important.

"So Ben, I was talking to Santino and the capos of west and east ends." Uncle Fred began hesitantly as he stood from his chair and started pacing about in front of the huge mahogany desk behind which Uncle Ben was perched on. The desk was brimmed with files of various kinds and a computer. Santino had a drink in his hands, taking small sips while looking at Uncle Ben through the rim of the glass. "They weren't much happy with the idea of a woman becoming a Donna. The number of Donnas in Cosa Nostra is sparse and you know it."

Uncle Ben let out a sigh as he leaned on his elbows placed on the table and raked his fingers through his hair. "I thought this talk was over Freddo. You and I both know that times will change and how many Donnas or Godmothers can the Cosa Nostra have when people in power like you don't even plant the seed for it? It's already decided Freddo. I don't want any of the other Marino swines taking my place. They are far from noble like the real Marino. C'era solo un vero Marino. Ed è morto da tempo. Non c'è mai stato un uomo come Adone e non ci sarà mai." (There was only one real Marino. And he's long gone. There never walked a man like Adone and there never will.)

I could feel the tension increasing from the outside.

Santino was gripping his glass so tightly I feared it would break and spill the contents all over Stacey's favourite rug. But they both looked unemotional from the outside.

"It's been years since we joined our hands, Ben. But never in my life did I realize that you were so beyond the help of your trusted advisor or your Amico. I tried Ben.. I really did. But I can't anymore."

"What do you mean?" Uncle Ben was becoming more and more alert and his body turned rigid as each word passed through uncle Fred's mouth.

"Beh, voglio dire solo che non c'è mai stato un uomo come Benjamin e non ci sarà mai" 

 (Well, I just mean that there never walked a man like Benjamin and there never will.) I knew the moment those low voiced words escaped from uncle Fred that this was trouble. He was slowly walking towards Uncle Ben and Santino placed the glass near the right front leg of the chair he was sitting, on the farthest corner of the large office.