AS THE DARKNESS BROUGHT COMFORT - SO IT INVITED DEATH.

The gratefulness from the villagers were brought about by a bittersweet reason - for Verine, or rather Hela, was Elavnia's protector. Under her disguise, she was no longer a royal of blood-born status. She no longer carried with herself the flowers she grew in the gardens - and she carried no responsibility to be peaceful and subdued. As with nightfall, and the welcoming arms of the night market, she transformed into a warrior.

Verine knew she had a knack for fighting.

As a youngster, she grew tall and strong; agile. Her movements, like her powers, flowed into water - and her abilities rendered her strikes flawless. As she grew, she began to discover more about the world outside her own. The queen and king - as well as her sisters later - tried to protect each other from various wars and political dissonance.

Yet, Verine yearned to be one with the people. She didn't quite care about policies or laws. She knew they were important, but she wanted first-hand experience - to be truly one with her citizens and live with them.

It was a fateful day - 12 years ago - when she'd run out and visited the villagers. No one quite recognised her in commoner's clothing she stole from the palace guards. As her footsteps transcended into air, her heart swelled. Everything was beautiful - the warmth of her people, the kindness. They reminded her of her family.
Elavnia was one big family.

That was when - she bumped into him.

Verine still remembered the little boy.

His hair was combed, long and silky as it flowed behind his back. His eyes dark as the coals in the furnace, skin as pale as the moon herself. His stance amazingly posh, tall and dignified. With a gaze both warm and cold, Verine admitted she had been just a little frightened. She was on the way back to the palace, away from the gazes of the others. Would this boy recognise her as a princess? Would he report her?
The palace was only but a few footsteps away!

"You shouldn't run, little girl."

Verine remembered her jaw dropping.
This boy had spoken to her as if he was an elder, voice both authoritative and disdainful. It was - absurd.

"Excuse me?"

The boy's lips had curled into a frown, nose scrunching as he leaned forwards.

"You - you hold abilities. Show me."

This time it was Verine's turn to frown.

"Are you being serious, right now? Who are you? Where did you come from? You don't look - alive?"

Indeed, now that the young girl was up close to him, she saw the translucent shade of his figure, fading in and out of existence. His irises glowed, fingers wrapped cleanly around a jade sword.

The boy had laughed, "Foolish girl."

He'd turned around, heels clicking on the gravel floor as the shade of the trees turned so the moonlight shifted onto his features. Amidst the quarrel, Verine couldn't help but find him - ethereal.

This ethereal boy had just gotten on her last nerve.

"Hey, you!" she'd yelled, raising her hand.

"Wh-"

With one swift move, the jade handle of the sword ripped out of his grasp. The boy reeled back in terror as the weapon fell into Verine's hands. Her smile grew mischievous, eyeing the new trophy in glee.

"You wanted to see my powers," she smirked, "you got it."

"Why, you -"

"Hello?"
The new third voice made Verine and the boy jump.

"Hello is anybody there?"

The boy leapt to his feet, long black hair now curling with leaves, "You brought someone with you? Who is this? I can't be seen by too many people. This was already too big of a risk."

Gritting his teeth, the boy pounced forward - just as Verine shuffled back.

"You're not getting back this sword until you tell me who - or what you are," she growled.

For an 11 year old, the young child sure was feisty.

"Hello? I can't find my way back, please! Is anybody out there?"

The boy's gaze darted warily as the third voice grew nearer.

"Time's a-ticking," the young Verine giggled, dangling the sword in amusement. The boy hesitated for a moment, eyebrows furrowing, before he surrendered.

"Keep it," he whispered out, turning his back, "I'll return soon."

A blossom of smoke rose as his form vanished - and another appeared from the bushes.

"Please!" the boy from the bushes wailed, not noticing the dissipating smoke and awestruck expression of the girl beside him, "You have to help me get back! I'm a prince! I need protection, I need - what are you looking at?!"

Verine's smirk grew into a beaming smile as her hand gripped firmly over the sword, heart beating erratically in her chest.

What was that?

"WHY DO YOU HAVE A SWORD?"

The boy from the bushes let out a shrill shriek as Verine hurled backwards, gazing at his honey almond eyes and fluffy brown hair. He was barely inches shorter than her, plush pink lips stuck in a heavy pout. The crown on his head toppled over to the left - gold gleaming, pairing with his suit.

"Who are you again?" she asked, now awake from her trance.

"I-I'm a prince," the boy mumbled out in fright, "My name is J-Jackson."

Hello everyone! <3
I am back with another short chapter!
Uni assignments are getting closer and closer to my neck sigh :')

But hey - we've unlocked a new character!
Any guesses as to who he may be?