Chapter 1

The sun began to rise over the horizon, making its warm orange-red glow shine on the village of Berk. At the top of the village, held the house that belonged to the chief of the village. Inside the house, laid a fire pit with a medium sized caldron hanging over the coals as they created a small flame in their cracks. The whole house was quiet, but the sounds of small snores, and larger ones could be heard around.

Up the stairs, on a solitary wooden bed, rested a young man with layered brown hair, slightly falling and rising as he breathed. Near the bed, was that of a scaly black dragon, known to the people as a Night Fury, was sleeping on a stone slab, with scorch marks around where his body was. Down the hall, was that of a large dark red-orange dragon, with horns on his head, and curled beside him, was a woman with slight grays in her long hair. The sun broke through some of the small holes in the wall, causing one of the beams to shine in the boy's face.

Feeling the warmth on his face, and seeing the bright light through his eyelids, the young man woke, opening his green eyes. He yawned then stretched, as he got out of bed.

Later, when he was dressed in his outfit, that was similar to armor, he walked up to the dragon sleeping near his bed. "Come on bud. Time
To get up for a morning fly about around the village." He told the dragon as it began to stir, and open its cat-like emerald green eyes. The dragon uncurled his tail, and began to stretch himself out of sleep. The two then headed downstairs, then walked out the door to watch the sun, still rising in the sky.

The man hopped onto the saddle that was on the back of the dragon, then the dragon lifted its wings, and took off, gliding over the village.

The two kept an eye on every part of the village, to see if everyone was farming crops, taking care of the livestock, or going to take care of their dragons. "Nothing out of the ordinary here bud. Let's go check where Dagar had landed his ships the other night." The man said, as the dragon turned to the eastern rock formation near the docks. The dragon dived down a little lower, closer to the water, and skimmed the surface for any signs of a fresh breakfast for himself. But did not find anything.

The rider on the back of the dragon, looked down at him, then looked up, seeing a cave near the water. "Head into the cave, Toothless. Let's see if they're any of Dagar's men left." He said. Toothless flew into the cave, then softly landed on the cave floor near the entrance. The two looked around, not seeing anything, so Toothless made a sound, that was like that of a bat's echolocation. When the sound bounced back to the dragon, the two heard a small noise, it sounded that of a small cry of a newborn dragon. The man grabbed a metal object on the side of his belt, then unsheathing it, the object that looked like a sword, caught fire, lighting the area around the two.

Both dragon and rider began walking to the direction of the small sound they heard, both thinking that it was one of the baby dragons on the island that was alone and scared in the cave. As the two walked, the man stepped on something that cracked under his feet. Both of them looked down to see what it was that he stepped on. The man bent down, and held the object in his hand. "Hey... This is an eggshell." He said standing back up. "So that means the baby couldn't have gone far. See if you can sniff it out bud." He said pointing to the direction the cave went.

Toothless began walking in that direction, with the rider right behind him. The tiny cries became louder as they got closer to the end. As the two rounded a corner, they both noticed a baby dragon. But this one was different than the ones that they would see everyday, this one looked just like Toothless. The baby stood crying for his/her mother, when (s)he saw his/her shadow on the ground growing. (S)he turned around and saw two figures (s)he did not recognize. The little dragon became scared, and hid behind one of the nearby rocks, squeaking in fear. "It's ok, it's ok we're not gonna hurt ya..." The man said, slowly lowering himself to his/her level, and holding out his hand. "You can come out..." He smiled softly to him/her. The little dragon thought about running, but looked to his green eyes and seeing warmth, and not fear. "Come on... It's ok..." He called to him/her in the same soft voice.

The baby peaked out from behind the rock slowly, stepping into view of both dragon and human, and sniffed the hand he offered. The little creature stepped out slowly, and nervously, taking glances at the bigger dragon, and noticing that it looked like him/her. "See? That wasn't so bad was it?" The man asked, turning his hand to pet his/her head. The baby flinched, and covered his/her eyes with his/her front paws, which had only small, dull claws, that (s)he could not use to defend himself/herself yet. "Shh, shh... I'm not gonna hurt you..." He spoke softly again, seeing the little one's fear. He gently, and softly put two fingers on his/her small head, moving them in little circles to pet him/her. The baby soon was calming down, and began to purr under his touch.

Toothless stepped closer to the baby and his rider, seeing him/her up close, and purring when he sees him/her. The baby looks up at the older dragon, and waddles up to him. Purring and then nuzzling his chin and front legs. The man chuckled. "Looks like (s)he thinks you're his/her father, Toothless." He smiled. Toothless looked at the man, then the baby, and nudged him/her a little bit away from him. The baby looked up at him, and tilted his/her head to the side, in confusion of why the older dragon didn't want him/her close to him. The man chuckled again, then gently picked the baby up. (S)he squirmed at first, but relaxed when (s)he saw that it was the man holding him/her. "Let's take him/her home bud. Maybe mom can tell us some more about him/her." He said, getting onto the bigger dragon, then taking off into the air to glide out of the cave, and back to the village.

"Mom! We're home!" The man called as he and Toothless stepped into the house. "Welcome home Hiccup." The woman called, as she and her dragon climbed down from the rafters. Hiccup set the baby dragon down on the floor gently, and his mother quickly took interest. "Hiccup, where did you find this little creature? A baby Night Fury!" She asked as the baby began purring when she stroked the top of his/her head.

"We found him/her in a nearby cave, crying out for some reason." Hiccup said sitting down. "I think (s)he was calling to his/her mother." He said. Toothless laid down right next to Hiccup, and the baby walked up to him, giving him a smile without any teeth. "Well, from I can see, you're right that the baby is a male/female. And from I can tell, (s)he's just a newborn. Poor thing must be hungry." She said as her dragon handed her a woven basket full of fish. The baby looked up as soon as the sent hit his/her nose, and (s)he rushed to get some food for himself/herself. The woman laughed as she gave him/her an Icelandic Cod fish to eat for himself/herself. Hiccup laughed as well, and Toothless just stared at the baby, the look of thinking across his face.

Once (s)he was done with his/her fish, the baby yawned and curled up next to Toothless before he realized (s)he was doing so. "(S)he likes Toothless I see." The woman said. "(S)he does." Hiccup replied, smiling as Toothless lowered his wing to cover the newborn. "Have you thought of a name for him/her yet son?" Hiccup's mother asked. "I actually have. (Y/n)..." He replied.

"(Y/n) is a perfect name for him/her..." Toothless said in his mind, as he purred a little, watching the sleeping baby.